Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandra Brown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 04:31 AM
    Difference between ceiling paint and primer
    My walls are already painted and i only want to repaint. Is there any significant difference in the outcome if i use ceiling paint as a primer?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 8, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Ceiling paint is just paint. If you have water stains or repairs to cover, it's best to use a primer before painting the walls.

There are good water based primers out there if you don't want to go with the stinky and messy oil based stuff.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 8, 2012, 07:01 AM
    You do not need a primer for previously painted walls.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Yes, is there a reason you want to use a primer ? Unless as noted there are stains you are wanting to cover up, you do not prime a previous painted service ( normally)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 8, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You do not need a primer for previously painted walls.
    If you have water stains that have bled through the old paint, or you have repairs that need dealt with, then you do indeed need to use a primer over the old painted walls.

If, though, the walls that you are re-painting have no problems that need primer, then you certainly can just paint over them without the use of a primer.
    Kena60 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
    Dido everything above said but clarifying here. You have left over ceiling paint and are now painting the walls? You want to use the ceiling paint on the walls as a primer so you don't have to throw the ceiling paint out? All painted surfaces are latex? If you have stains to cover or have patched any holes etc, drywall tape from repairs, these should be primed and you could use the ceiling paint but a true primer would give better results. Make sure walls have been washed down clean before priming/ painting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Ceiling Paint as Primer [ 14 Answers ]

I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.

Using Primer as a ceiling paint [ 9 Answers ]

I am redoing my bathroom by myself and have primed the ceiling with Behr Water Based Primer and Sealer. My husband wants me to leave it. He says that will serve as ceiling paint also. It is in a small bathroom off the master bedroom and has no fan for ventilation. I think I should use ceiling...

Is there any reason to paint the ceiling with paint when the white primer looks good? [ 4 Answers ]

I just finished putting up new drywall and sprayed a white primer on the ceiling - 2 coats. The ceiling looks good and I'm trying to decide if I really need to paint the ceiling now or can I just leave the primer as it is?

Using ceiling paint as a primer [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know if it is OK to use ceiling paint as a primer on my wall that was just spackled?

View more questions Search