Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kim77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 03:15 AM
    If I am living on social security, can I be forced to pay a judgementagainst me ?
    I was married , living in Ohio 4 years ago. I owned a vehicle but it was not driveable. My husband, while drunk, took my car, and hit a parked car. I left him soon afterward due to abuse, and he died two years ago ,4 months after I divorced him. Now our children and myself only live on social security (one son is disabled). I just found out Ohio suspended my license and the attorney wants me to pay the entire judgement before I get my license back. Can they do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2012, 03:31 AM
    Yes, you owned the car, did you not have it insured? But if they obtained a judgment were you not aware of being sued? Poverty is not a defense against a judgment.

Suspension of license is one of the legal means they have to compel you to pay. But if you don't have a drivable car, then you don't need a license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I pay for the uncollected Social Security Tax? [ 7 Answers ]

I am now in a very wired situation. I work on my OPT since Jan. 2008 and then later in Oct. my H1B visa took effects. But my company didn't withheld the social security tax and medicare tax. Now I am filing the tax return form, should I use the form 8919 to do this work for those money getting...

Pay Social Security? [ 3 Answers ]

Country : India Status: F-1 ( 2nd year of the total 5 years ) Pay: 57K/annum ( paid bi-weekly ) I have been working on CPT from June 07 to Dec 14 07; From Dec 15 07 I am on OPT, I told my employer Not to deduct my Social security and Medicare and they didn't for the period 1 June to 31...

Social Security + Medicare. Didn't pay ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is in regards to your response on this thread. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/s...are-21999.html I have a couple of questions if anyone can help... My employer doesn't deduct my Social Security since I was on H1B (oct 2005). I think he is not aware of the fact that I am also...

F1 to H1 -> how to pay social security for H1 earnings. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was working on my OPT (F1) till September '04 and then switched to H1. My employer did not withhold social security and medicare from my salary for the 3 months from October through December of 2004. I had to inform them and they started to withhold the taxes from Jan of 2005. I would...

View more questions Search