Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brosh4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 02:52 PM
    Pythagorean Theorem
    A lot is in the shape of a right triangle. The shorter leg measures 60 meters. The hypotenuse is 60 meters shorter than twice the length of the longer leg. How long is the longer leg?
    Cvholliday Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 04:27 AM
    The shorter leg measures 60 meters. The hypotenuse is 60 meters shorter than twice the length of the longer leg. How long is the longer leg? We can use Pythagoreans theorem that says a^2+b^2=c^2. So let's call a the short leg so a=60. So the longer leg is b. Now we can write an equation for the hypotenuse c=2b-60. Let's plug all this into Pythagoreans theorem and write 60^2+b^2 = (2b-60)^2. You need to FOIL the (2b-60)(2b-60) then use algebra to solve for b. Hope that helps you on your way :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pythagorean theorem [ 3 Answers ]

the pythagorean theorem states a relationship between the sides of a right triangle. A right triangle has one 90 degree angle. The hypotenuse of a right triangle is theside opposite the degree angle , and it is the longest side. if the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is unknow, the...

Pythagorean theorem [ 1 Answers ]

HERE IS A PARAGRAPH: Triangles that are similar to a right triangle with sides 3,4, and 5 are often used in construction. The roof shown here is 36 ft wide. The two halves of the roof are congruent. Each half is a right triangle with sides proportional to 3,4, and 5. (The shorter leg is the...

Tv measurement using pythagorean theorem [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me to understand. I have a similar homework problem to this one I am posting. If you have a square television with a diagonal of 49" what is the measurement of one side? I am just not getting it. Thank you for any help.

Pythagorean triples? [ 4 Answers ]

Never used this site so bear with me :D Ok a question from my schoolbook: Which of the following sets are Pythagorean triples? Im pretty sure I got the first three right but not sure how to do this one at all:

Pythagorean theorem [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble doing a word problem. I know I am supposed to use the pythagorean theorem but I just can't figure it out. Please help! The problem goes like this: A guy wire of length 50 feet is attched to the ground and to the top of an antenna. The height of the antenna is 10 feet larger...

View more questions Search