Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OSimon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Wiring a programmable thermostat
    I've purchased a Honeywell programmable thermostat for electric baseboard heat - model RLV430A. There are 2 black wires on the back of the new thermostat. The wiring instructions say "The thermostat wires are not polarized; either wire can be connected to the load or to the power supply". There are instructions for wiring this thermostat to either 2 or 4 existing wires. The instructions for the 4 wires show the 2 existing black wires going to the thermostat (one to each of the blacks on the thermostat) and the 2 existing white wires being connected to each other.

When I removed the existing thermostat there are 6 existing wires - 2 black and 2 white from the top of the box and 1 black and 1 white from the bottom of the box. This thermostat runs 2 electric baseboard heaters in the same room.

How do I connect the 2 black wires on the new thermostat to the 6 existing wires in the box?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Connect all the whites together. Identify the incoming black power feed and connect it to one of the thermostat terminals. Connect the 2 black wires to the heaters both to the other terminal. I hope there are ground wires to connect together and to a green screw on the frame of the thermostat.
    OSimon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
    There are no ground wires and no green screw. There is only the thermostat with a plastic frame, the 2 black wires and 2 screws to attach it to the electrical box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Honeywell Programmable Thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

I am having trouble figuring out the wiring for a new programmable thermostat installation. I moved into a barnd new house equipped with two Robertshaw Model 9400 Thermostats (one for each zone). I bought Honeywell RTH7500D programmable thermostats to replace them because I wanted programmable...

Hunter 44110 Programmable Thermostat Wiring HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

My current thermostat has the following six wires, hooked as follows: Orange to O Green to G Yellow to Y1 Red to R Black to C White to W1 I am attempting to install the Hunter Programmable thermostat, which only gives me 5 placements for wires:

WIRING DILEMA , Honeywell Thermostat RTH7500D Programmable [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I want to replace an Old thermostat mechanical type WHITE-RODGERS 1F56W-361model with the high tech Honeywell RTH7500D Programmable,. read carefully the Owner's Guide but my situation doesn't fit any description. I have 6 wires on the old thermostat to terminals: -RG(1wire) -RH(2...

Programmable Thermostat [ 5 Answers ]

Hello guys... I have 2 programmable thermostat in my hand, one is Noma (Canadian Tire) and the other is RiteTemp (Home Depot), and my wife and I have a split decision on which one to use. I just want to ask some experts here or some people who have used the Noma Programmable Thermostat some...

Need help wiring Honeywell programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 5-2 programmable Honeywell thermostat - replacing my old mercury unit. Have a spilt-system Bryant heat pump. Brown - Br Green - G White - W1 Blue - B Yellow - Y Red - R Connected G, W1, Y and R (not B, not Br). Heat works fine. Just switched to cooling and I only get hot air. Any...

View more questions Search