Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibjoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Break Oregon lease
    I signed a 12 month lease in October 2006. It is a privately owned condo and I signed the lease with a property management company. In the first couple of weeks we started having problems. Dog owners not picking up after their dogs and people just throwing garbage on the ground not into the huge bins that are provided. Discarded food, diapers and baby wipes covered in feces, broken glass are just a sample of what is laying around the grounds.
    When I called my property management company their response was I had to bring it up with the Home Owners Association. After several e-mails back and forth I find out the HOA hadn't been formed yet. I am then informed there is a property management company that is responsible for the grounds and I need to contact them for garbage, etc issues. The HOA was recently formed but I can't attend because I am not an owner. I looked up this information
    "90.305 Disclosure of certain matters;
    retention of rental agreement; inspection
    of agreement. (1) The landlord shall disclose
    to the tenant in writing at or before
    the commencement of the tenancy the name
    and address of:
    (a) The person authorized to manage the
    premises; and
    (b) An owner of the premises or a person
    authorized to act for and on behalf of the
    owner for the purpose of service of process
    and receiving and receipting for notices and
    demands"
    I don't have the money to hire an attorney and wanted to know since this wasn't done for me can I break my lease and get my deposit back legally? The property management company that is trying to take care of the grounds stated to me "we have to admit, we simply do not have any communities with the level of disrespect to their homes that some of the residents at this complex seem to have".
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ibjoy
    I looked up this information "90.305 Disclosure of certain matters; retention of rental agreement; inspection of agreement. (1) The landlord shall disclose to the tenant in writing......... blah, blah, blah.....
    Hello ib:

If the statute you're quoting is the landlord/tenant law for Oregon, then it also ought to tell you how to notify the landlord of deficiencies, and what to do if the landlord fails in his responsibilities.

If you're convinced that he HAS failed, and I don't disagree with you, then there are certain procedures you must follow before you can break your lease. If the statute ISN'T the landlord/tenant law, you can find it in the sticky at the top of this forum.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I break my lease [ 2 Answers ]

Can I as a tenant break my lease and what happens if I do this is a Texas realtors lease

Can I The Landlord Break The Lease In Fl [ 4 Answers ]

I have a property in miami fl I rented it out but want to break the lease to sale All the tenates gave me was a security deposit and first month and has been paying late for the last six months what can I do

Break Lease Clause [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings - My wife is starting her own business and will be renting space above a dentist (who owns the building). He wants to lease the office space for 2 years. We are OK with doing that, however, I want to protect myself in the even the business does not work out ("Expect the Best :D ,...

Can I break the lease early [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I signed a 1year lease 3 months ago. We just broke up and I can't afford to pay the 1500 a month alone. I need to move out. I live in Florida and will move to NY with family. Is it true that in Fl you can break a lease if you move out of the state?

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search