Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 12:11 AM
    It wasn't me . In Ottawa Canada
    Last month I started getting calls from a debt collector. They say that back in October of 2002 I was in a car that got pulled over and wasn't wearing a seat belt (this was apparently in Toronto) and now I owe them $130.. Problem with this is that at the time I lived in Ottawa and was most likely in class in Ottawa. 2002 is a long time ago so I can't be 100% sure, but I know I wasn't in Toronto.

The person who was stopped gave them my name, date of birth and an address I lived at over 10 years ago. I have an idea of who might of done it (my brother was under house arrest at the time and never could stay in) but he is unlikely to fess up.. so

1. How do I make this go away short of paying?

2.Is there a Statute of Limitations on how long they can go after my for this?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Hey Jim,

I am confused. It sounds like a ticket. But no cop would issue a ticket without asking for ID.

Ask the debt collector people for more detail and if that fails, one day they will sue you and tell the Judge this wasn't you.

Furthermore, you could apply to the court to get this ticket off your record since it wasn't you.

And find out what officer was idiotic enough to write a ticket without asking for ID.
    Jim C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Thanks Cap!
    I did a little looking around as to what my right are.. I didn't get any letter or documentation that this was real debt and if it is that it was transferred to them. Might be because they have a 10 year old address. Does that matter and do I have a legal obligation give them my new one?
    Nintendofan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 12:35 AM
    Jim it might be a attempt to scam you. If there were a way someone could get your old information it wouldn't be hard for someone to try and pull this sort of thing on you. Be careful!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Jim,

I was about to say the same thing as Nintendofan.

This all might just be one big scam this company is trying to pull on you.

Ask this company for proof of this debt.

Ask them when and where the ticket was issued, the contact the good people in Toronto and try to find verification of this ticket.

There is a big possibility this is a scam and whatever you do, do NOT give them your current address.

How can they not even have it yet have your phone number?

Either way, do NOT give them any information, just ask them for information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What's is another name for Canada's legislure?

Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I was thinking about going to Canada for the weekend for my birthday in Feb., I live in Rochester, NY. I was told that you can enter Canada with a I.D., But in order to come back home into the U.S. I need a passport, is this true???? Please help me!!??!! Thanks so much! :)

Canada [ 1 Answers ]

What two bodies are the canada's legislature divided into

Going to Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Did that go into effect to need a passport to go to Canada this year? We want to go up this summer?

View more questions Search