Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gatito Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2004, 11:38 AM
    Something not good with my kitten...
    Hello :
    I am a new member here... I thought I'd come here for your help for something wrong with my kitten... I bought my kitten a month ago... I haven't seen a normal stool ever since only soft or diarrhea... I took him to the vet for 2 or 4 tme about this issue he gave him 3 injection.. and said there is nothing wrong with my kitten at all.. there is no disease... he told me I should put him in a warm place or change the food that might be the reason... a few days later my kitten began having dark blood as a stool... I took him again to the vet and he said the same thing either food or the kitten might be cold... I did put him in a really warm place and a changed the food to tuna for kittens... its now the 3rd day and nothing changed... I am really so worried... I appreciete anyhelp from you, so please tell me what to do...
    Thank you so much...
    sonia Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2004, 01:29 AM
    It can be caused by worms
    My cat had such problem as well, and vet told us that the cat might have worms, we gave the cat special tablets. 3 month already passed and I haven't noticed such problem again. You suldn't forget, that cat must always have fresh water to drink, especially if you feed your cat with crunchy food.

Hope my experience will help

P.S don't forget to consult a vet or a chemist about the tablets from worms
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2004, 07:30 PM
    Sick kitty
    Hi
    I'm a vet tech, so I hope I can help a bit.
    First, make sure to keep the kitten on a premium food such as Iams or Eukanuba kitten formulas. Also make sure she has plenty of fresh water at all times, as she can get dehydrated quickly when having diarrhea.
    Second, it is always a good idea to deworm kittens. Even if they don't have worms, it won't hurt them. You can get over-the-counter dewormers, but a broad-spectrum may be best for her. Check with your vet, as age and weight are also important when deciding which dewormer to use.
    Lastly, I had a kitten that had bloody diarrhea as well, even though she was on premium food and had been regularly dewormed. I consulted with the 4 vets I worked for at the time and they advised me to feed a bland food for a few days to settle her stomach, then slowly switch back to her regular food. A bland diet can be plain meat baby food, canned pumpkin, boiled chicken, or you can get canned food from a vet (Hill's A/D). Even after this diet, my kitten still had her diarrhea until she was about 6 months old. The vets said that this condition is normal for some kittens, and they'll grow out of it.
    So, try the bland diet for 48-72 hours, then mix in portions of her regular food to wean her back onto her normal diet and get her dewormed. If she is still having the diarrhea, you may just need to wait it out.
    In the meantime, make sure to keep in touch with your vet and give updates once or twice a week. Things can go very wrong very quickly with kittens, and your vet can advise you on when she should be seen again.
    I hope this helps. Good luck.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Dec 19, 2004, 07:52 AM
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear of your kitten's problems. One thing we have seen that can be tricky to diagnose is giardia. It causes diarrhea and can be difficult to kill. It requires a long stint of antibiotics.

There is a snap test which vets can do to test for this or it can be seen under a microscope by doing a cytology.

Switching to a high quality food is a good idea as suggested in another reply. Also, stop all canned food and don't give any milk or dairy products.

If there is an imbalance in the intestinal tract, giving Culturelle (can be found at Walgreens) to the tune of 1/2 capsule (mixed in a tsp of canned food) can help replace the good flora.

We normally take kittens with intestinal issues off kitten food as it can be too rich. At the clinic, we routinely prescribe Iams Hairball as it has an increased amount of fiber.

Hope you find a solution!

Regards,
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 14, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Just a thought, I'm not a vet but have cats, so maybe advice on checking what type of plants you have in the house might be a good idea, also remember that garlic, onions, and tomato family plants and fruits are poison for cats - just make certain that they don't come into contact with these things. Hope your kitty gets better soon.

A good book on how to raise your cat and look for signs would also benefit you and the kitty. There are also some neat internet sites you can check out when you have the time.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 15, 2006, 01:31 PM
    Update
    I had seen the question pop back up and I had thought maybe we would all get an update, I did not offer any info, because every one else was dead on the subject, and it was answered well. Hopefully she will update us soon. It is all way nice to get one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there such a thing? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a reliable lawn tractor , not garden tractor,under $1000?? Any comments are welcome

What Is This Thing? [ 3 Answers ]

Terresa Marie, my friend, felt something sticking her in the back. When I unsipped the dresss this is what I found. She has been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider and is deathly afraid of them. I attempted to identify the bug on the internet but no joy. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, ...

Looking to do the right thing. [ 9 Answers ]

I live with 5 other girls in a house. We all share rent and utilities. Our toilet got plugged and it may have been from a tampax. Two of us admitted we'd flushed tampax down the toilet in the past because we didn't know we weren't supposed to. The plumbing bill came to $120 and the other girls...

Oh this thing! [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I am getting frustrated because I have spybot and it keeps finding something called Statblaster.memorywatcher and I don't know how to get rid of it. I try to get my email on Outlook Express and set a homepage for my IE and every time I put in a new URL under internet options...

Do they mean the same thing? [ 1 Answers ]

Please solve thisproblem for me. Are the three sentences the same? 1. People were crazy about her singing. 2. People really liked her singing. 3. Her singing made people crazy. Thank you.

View more questions Search