Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chucker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2004, 11:01 AM
    Shower drain in slab
    Can I build up the shower base and use elbows to route the shower drain to the right location, or do I have to rip the floor out, or custom build my own shower base... I believe it was placed for a tube, and I can't find any shower bases that the drain lines up with... any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2004, 11:45 AM
    If you have the head room, it may work. Make sure you use the longer DWV elbows instead of the regular ones. Two 45's would be less likely to clog than 90's, but take more vertical distance for the same horizontal travel. At least any clogs would be close if you have to snake them out.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2004, 12:11 PM
    Shower drain in slab
    Hey Chuck,
    The more angles in a drainage line the more the flow is retarded and the more clogs will develop. Having said that, if it's feasible I would install a clean out as close to the trap as possible. But as Labman advised, use 2" long sweep elbos to line the drain up. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Drain for shower on cement slab [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing a shower that was installed on a cement slab. I will probably be using noble company products for the liner etc.. However I need some guidance on the install of drain system. Attached are some pictures of the existing situation... can anyone help suggest something. On some other...

Install a shower drain over slab [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about to install my fiberglass shower and I've done some reading on the process. I am confused about one thing. Which is better to use under the drain, plumbers putty or silicone caulk? I'm leaning towards the putty. I know it's been used for years and has performed well, but I'm wondering...

Shower drain on slab? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm helping a friend remodel his basement bathroom, including a new tile shower and replacing the toilet. The old shower was a metal unit and the shower drain is set into the concrete. I'll be putting a new pan in and would like to replace the drain (same location), but am not sure how to connect...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search