Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liverpool27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2012, 09:58 AM
    How to get rid of drain flies in basement
    We have drain flies in our basement... a lot of them... we have a toilet , a shower and double tubs down their as well as a floor drain... bleach and drano has not helped.. it is really grossing me out... prior to this the toilet was not used much and the shower not for a long time... is it possible the 100 year old pipes have shifted in the floor drain allowing the flies in?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
    The flies don't get in, they are born down inside the pipes. How to Get Rid of Drain Flies
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
    I'm in my second infestation of drain flies. I've just about got them eliminated. The most important thing is to locate the source of the infestation and either seal it off, as I did, or use the method described in the link. Once you've eliminated the source you can began to kill the ones left in your house. Several fly traps are mentioned but I found that sticky fly strips kill the most. I hung mine over the kitchen sink drain after first placing pans over the drains to seal them off. I had already bombed both bathrooms, (the source was a bade wax seal in the master bath) and kept the doors closed to prevent flies from entering. I figure 8if I can just keep them out of the drains and from laying eggs they'll die off since drain flies have a life cycle of 5 or 6 days. So that's what I'm doing. Here's some more for you to read,
    How to Get Rid of Drain Flies
    Good luck, Tom Sorry Bob, I didn't realize we put up the same link,
    Update! I tried both "vinegar in a Dish" fly traps. Left them out for 24 hours and NOTHING. However 3 of then flew into my open coffee cup and drowned.. Go figure!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

How to get rid of drain flies? [ 0 Answers ]

I have had the horrible smell that something was dead in my home and nothing was to be found the smell went away after a couple of days and all these flies started appearing really bad in the guest bathroom and a little around the kitchen sink... how do I get rid of these flies and keep them from...

Get rid of yellow flies during walk [ 3 Answers ]

OK I just want to buy some type of spray to use when I walk my 2 dogs. Those nasty flies attack non stop . Not cool at all ! I live in North Carolina ; I tried every '' bugsoff'' that were in the market. Moskitoes live me alone but those flies couldn't care less!! We send space ship out in space...

Small flies in our house and can't get rid of them [ 12 Answers ]

We have these small flies that seem to be attacked to our kitchen and bathrooms. They are bigger than fruit flies but smaller than the common fly. When you kill them they have blood in them. We don't allow food to be out and the dirty dishes are cleaned in the dishwasher. In the kitchen they...

How do I get rid of yellow flies? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife Has a bad reaction at bite site of yellow flies. She likes to sit out side on the front porch and read. But, She's being TERORIZED by yellow flies. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search