Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fwala Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Maytag Dryer 3000 Sensor Cleaning
    I have the Maytag 300 series. These are excellent machines; however, we had a problem with the dryer shutting off too early. The repairman told us that the sensor(s) needed to be cleaned occasionly with rubbing alcohol. Problem is, I was not present at the time and do not know the location of the sensor(s). Can you help me out, please?
    Thanks
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
    These driers will do that when the lint builds up like concrete on the inside of the air ducts. When the sensors need cleaning all of it needs cleaning. Halfway doing it will not work. You need to totally tear it down and scrape out and wash all of the parts except the motor, which you vacuum out. You can go to YouTube to see videos on how to take it apart, but do a very good job or it will fail again quickly. I would get a new belt and change it while you have it apart and get some white lithium grease and grease any bearings you find. You need to clean out a drier every two years, at least, according to the manual. All sensors work together by comparing temperature, so all need to be cleaned. You just unplug the wires from the sensors and remove ductwork that they are attached on and clean the entire thing with soap and water. Make sure you go all through the dryer and get all parts like the blower fan and housing, vacuum out motor well and clean exhaust. Mark all wires you unplug so you know where they go. This is an easier job than you would think. My sister does hers at least once a year since she has five children and dryer gets a lot of use. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6wmD502-xE and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNDbyRm68M&feature=fvsr

Apr 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Thanks for the excellent write-up. I watched both videos and they contained good advice. I am still curious as to the location of the sensor(s). The videos did not address cleaning anything inside the drum with rubbing alcohol whereas my repair-man did. Do you know if they are located immediately above the door or just below it?
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2012, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fwala View Post
    I have the Maytag 300 series. These are excellent machines; however, we had a problem with the dryer shutting off too early. The repairman told us that the sensor(s) needed to be cleaned occasionally with rubbing alcohol. Problem is, I was not present at the time and do not know the location of the sensor(s). Can you help me out, please?
    Thanks
    You will see the sensors screwed onto the sides of the ducts. I can give you a manual here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Whirlpool%20ML-4%20Maytag%20Centennial%20Dryer%20Service%20Manual .pdf

Without the actual model number there is no way for me to find a manual for that exact dryer. You will find sensors throughout your dryer because the newer dryers use them to sense when the clothes are dry by making comparisons between different sensors. When the dryer is dirty you have to clean the whole dryer, not just a sensor or two. Just cleaning a spot here and there with alcohol is no good. You may clean where the wires plug onto the sensor, but that does nothing for the insulating layer of dirt keeping the sensor from sensing.

Apr 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Thanks drtom4444. That manual gave me a peek at what the Moisture Sensor Strips Holder looks like, at least for the model(s) in the manual, which is exactly what I've been looking for. My Model # is MEDE300VW1. Might you possibly have a more pertinent manual?
    Thanks again.

Apr 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
    drtom4444:
    Never mind. This video not only shows where the sensors are located, but explains in exacting detail how to replace them:
    Moisture Sensor 3387223 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
    Thanks anyway for your assistance,
    fwala
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Even though you change this sensor or clean it, if the rest of the dryer is dirty you will still have problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Dryer Series 3000, Status Lights doing odd things. Dryer hot. [ 0 Answers ]

At first my status lights went out and I had a 7 in the error box. But the dryer still worked. I just didn't know what I was drying on. Well, now the lights are doing all sorts of things. They are all on or flashing or not on at all. Plus, the last time I used the dryer they were flashing for a bit...

Maytag Dryer Series 3000, Status Lights won't work. Any ideas? [ 0 Answers ]

My Maytag dryer will run but the status lights are off. I cannot tell what it's running in but I assume it is the normal, dry cycle. It drys the clothes. It also has what looks like a 7 in the time box. The light is still on inside the dryer. Can anyone tell me what to do? Thanks. Melodie

Maytag neptune washer noise mah 3000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Neptune washer MAH3000AWW that makes a clicking/ popping noise when washing meaning when the drum is turning. It spins just fine with no noise at all although the noise is present during the rinse/ fill cycle. I have recently "REPAIRED" the machine board and replaced a broken water...

How do I start with cleaning the flame sensor on my furnace? [ 5 Answers ]

Can you tell me how to clean or replace the flame sensor? How much is it to replace?

View more questions Search