Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Thank you Shazzy. You don't have to sugar coat anything. It's me, so I know all too well how serious this all is. It's scaring me to death.

Last night I force fed him a bowl of chicken noodle soup. It was the easiest thing to get into the turkey baster after I blended it. He kept it down for a round 20 minutes and then up it came.

He's on pain meds, and the vet was hoping that would help him get his appetite back, but so far no go. He turns his nose at everything we bring to him, and we have brought him everything. By the way, whoever said that giving a dog a pill was easy, didn't have a dog that didn't want to eat. It's not at all easy when he won't even eat bacon, or cheese. I had to literally shove it down his throat and then chase it with water in the turkey baster, and even then it took around 10 tries. Little bugger. It's not that big a pill, he's weak, but he still manages to spit it back out even when it's in the back of his throat and I've held his mouth closed for 5 minutes. Stubborn little bug. So there is some fight still left in him. Sadly he's using it against healing.

Right now I'm giving him around a tablespoon of chicken noodle soup, forcing it with the turkey baster, every hour. I think that yesterday the whole bowl at one time was just too much, especially since he hasn't eaten in days. So far so good. He's managed to keep that last two "doses" of soup down.

As for bites. We live in the burbs in Alberta. About the only thing that will bite you here is a mosquito. Itchy and annoying, but definitely not deadly. We don't have poisonous bugs, snakes, or anything. The biggest fear here is that your dog is sprayed by a skunk, and even that is a rarity.

The vet looked at his leg, did x-rays, and says she thinks he strained it, and that the pain is from his arthritis. I'm finding that a bit odd, because he's never been diagnosed with arthritis. Fat, yes. Arthritis, no. She also said that his heart rate is high for a dog as lethargic as he is. If he were Chewy (healthy and active) his heart rate would be normal. But considering the fact that he hasn't been even walking, or eating, his heart rate is high. Also, he's drinking water as if it's going out of style. If you leave a big bowl of water by him, he'll drink it empty within minutes, and when you fill it up again, he'll drink a second bowl, third bowl. It's gotten to the point where we have to take the water away (which I hate doing because he's not eating), because he's drinking it so fast that he ends up puking it all up. Right now he's getting a small bowl of water every hour, 30 minutes after the soup.

Right now Rod has to carry him to the yard for a pee, and has to hold him while he's peeing. I called the vet today and told her that the pain pills aren't doing anything, and asked if she had any other recommendations. Her exact words "I'm so sorry. All of his tests came back fine for a dog his age. The only thing that is looking at all off is his leg, and it's just swollen. It shouldn't be the cause for all that's going on with him. I had really hoped it was just pain causing him to stop eating, but these pain pills are good. If they're not working, then it's something else". In other words, she has no clue what's going on, no clue how to get him to eat, and she mentioned that this may just be out of anyone's control. No shyt? Really? Thanks for the news flash! I asked if there was another vet at the clinic that could take a look at him, someone more specialized. She told me that all the vets work together on a problem case, so all the vets in the clinic have already reviewed his x-rays and other tests, and all of them are baffled as to what's going on. I even asked if maybe his stomach was twisted. She said no, she checked that. Everything looks normal. His stomach is empty, but other then that, and the leg, there's nothing else that should be causing this. I asked about a blockage, because he's very gassy, and I thought that maybe he's drinking so much because he's trying to work something out of his system. She said no. There's nothing at all in his stomach or intestines. Nothing.

Right now Rod and I are on our own. The vet says there's nothing further she can do. She can put him on IV to keep him alive, but unless we figure out what's wrong, that's pouring gas into a leaky gas bucket, and he'd have to stay at the vet clinic. Rod and I both agree that we'd rather have him home with us.

Last night Rod and I agreed that we will do everything we can, give him the meds, force feed him, keep him comfortable, and if nothing changes, and the vet still can't help, then we may just have to do for Jasper what we did for Indy. But I'm not ready to give up yet. I just can't believe that a dog that was running around, barking, wagging his tail, eating my underwear, not even a week ago, is now so weak, so close to death.

They always say that God (or whoever is in charge) doesn't give you more then you can handle. Well, not to feel sorry for myself, but seriously, who the heck is in charge up there, and how much more do they think I can handle? I'm telling you right now, I'm at the very end of my rope. You would think that with all the death I've handled in my life, I'd be immune to it by now, I'd breeze through it like nothing. But in truth, every single death just takes more of my soul. I just don't have anything left anymore. Someone has a very sick idea of what I can handle, because I can't handle this. Not right now. In a few years yest, but not right now. It's too much! Isn't it enough that I lost my parents only 6 months apart? Now I may lose my dogs less than 6 months apart? It's too soon. I don't expect 16 years with Jasper. I get that we got really lucky with Indy, that he wasn't the norm for a larger breed dog. But Jasper is only 10! I've never lost a dog at this age before, and never had a dog that went from being fine to being like this within days. I don't expect 16 years, but can I at least get one or two more? Can I at least be prepared for this?

I just keep seeing him running around, playing, barking, wagging his tail, nudging me because he wants a belly rub. That was not even a week ago! Not even a week!

Sorry for the book. It helps to write this down. I'm beside myself right now. I don't know what to do. I need a miracle, because if I stop sugar coating things for myself, I have a feeling I won't have my Jasper past the weekend. If things keep going downhill as they are, as quickly as they are, we're going to lose him, and it won't be weeks, or months, but hours, or days. :(
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Eating your underwear? Did he do that recently? Sorry to suggest this but what are the chances of a blockage given all the testing they did, was there any barium involved at any point?
    I know that says nothing of the leg and I'm purely speculating but...
    Eats things, vomiting, gassy, no appetite.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Alty,

Any fever in all of this at any point? Did they prescribe an anti-inflammatory for his leg? Something even OTC such as Glucosamine?

Any thought of trying a different vet practice to see if they might think of additional tests to try? I know cost will be a factor.

It may be two different things going on at once... just coincidental. Arthritis and a strain in his leg, which would make him not want to be on it, and something intestinal for the lack of appetite... such as the possibility of a blockage.

What about something such as Lyme disease? Which could account for both the leg swelling and the loss of appetite.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
    All the water drinking makes me think "diabetes." Do dogs get that (cats do), and has he been checked for it?
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    All the water drinking makes me think "diabetes." Do dogs get that (cats do), and has he been checked for it?
    Yes, dogs can be checked for it as well. Might be a possible kidney concern as well.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Dogs can and do get diabetes, Which should have been ruled out with the bloodwork they did, since those are the key things to check. I know you should never assume, but I'm assuming they ruled out diabetes and kidney issues.
    I'm with Doula, a double whammy and perhaps a second opinion.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
    We had a similar problem with our dog Mick about 2 1/2 years ago. It was over Rae's 16th birthday in November and we thought we might have to put her down. Vet came back with nothing, nada, zilch. Well, miracles never cease. By New Years Eve she was fine. No more pain, no more swelling and she started eating again.

Still don't know what it was, but it had to be geared toward arthritis as she gets a little stiff when the weather changes. So hopefully there's still hope for Jasper too.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Eating your underwear? Did he do that recently? Sorry to suggest this but what are the chances of a blockage given all the testing they did, was there any barium involved at any point?
    I know that says nothing of the leg and I'm purely speculating but......
    Eats things, vomiting, gassy, no appetite.
    Sadly that's not it, and trust me, I considered it, because Jasper will eat anything that's not tied down, and even some things that are.

But no, it's not a blockage. They checked. I sent a list with Rod when he took Jasper to the vet. A list of all the things he'd done before this started, and a list of all the things I was worried about. They checked him head to toe, xrayed the stomach, leg, and shoulder, palpitated his stomach to see if it was twisted. They did all the tests and really found nothing.

I thought blockage because of the gas and the fact that he's drinking so much water. It's almost like he's trying to get something out, and he thinks the water will help.

But they said no. It's not that, even though it makes the most sense considering the symptoms now.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Alty,

Any fever in all of this at any point? Did they prescribe an anti-inflammatory for his leg? Something even OTC such as Glucosamine?

Any thought of trying a different vet practice to see if they might think of additional tests to try? I know cost will be a factor.

It may be two different things going on at once...just coincidental. Arthritis and a strain in his leg, which would make him not want to be on it, and something intestinal for the lack of appetite....such as the possibility of a blockage.

What about something such as Lyme disease? Which could account for both the leg swelling and the loss of appetite.
    No fever at all. But, the only reaction they got out of him at all was when they checked his temp. He was not happy about that, and he actually protested it. When Rod told me that, I instantly thought that maybe he protested it so much because something's going on with his bowels. But the vet says they checked, and nothing.

I've been calling other vet clinics all day. Right now it's nearly impossible to get any of them to accept him. We could do the emergency vet, but when I called and told them the tests our vet did, they told me point blank that I'd be wasting my time and money, because they'd do the same tests, and if my vet found nothing, it's unlikely they will.

But, lyme disease. That's something I never considered, and I know the vet didn't. It makes sense. It makes a lot of sense. I'm going to go call them right now. Maybe I can get him in tonight, tomorrow morning at the latest. That's a very real possibility.

Thank you Doula.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
    What's the pain med he is on? Is he taking anything else? I'd ask about something for his arthritis as well. If the swelling and arthritis are causing pain, they need to be addressed. Could the thirst be a side effect of his pain meds?
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    We had a similar problem with our dog Mick about 2 1/2 years ago. It was over Rae's 16th birthday in November and we thought we might have to put her down. Vet came back with nothing, nada, zilch. Well, miracles never cease. By New Years Eve she was fine. No more pain, no more swelling and she started eating again.

Still don't know what it was, but it had to be geared toward arthritis as she gets a little stiff when the weather changes. So hopefully there's still hope for Jasper too.
    I'm crying J.

I'm hoping this is just something that he'll get over. I have to say that I'm extremely worried, getting ready for the worst, because he's gone downhill so quickly, but I'm not giving up hope. Not at all.

Thank you J.
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
    I just wanted to throw some hope in there for you. Mick doesn't run around the back yard like she used to, she's 12 now. But at least she is walking and eating again.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    What's the pain med he is on? Is he taking anything else? I'd ask about something for his arthritis as well. If the swelling and arthritis are causing pain, they need to be addressed. Could the thirst be a side effect of his pain meds?
    He was drinking excessively before the pain meds.

He's on Tramadol 50mg tablets, 1 1/2 pills every 8 hours.

He got a shot of muscle relaxants at the vet clinic. Neither one has helped so far, but to be fair it's only been a day. Still, he's not eating, and the vet hoped the pain meds would help him get his appetite back, because her theory was that he's not eating because of the pain.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
    News report the other day said ticks are a real problem this spring, so check your own body and your animals' bodies after being outdoors, especially in the woods or brush. I just looked up Lyme disease. Lameness in one leg and thirst are two major symptoms. Has Jasper been out in the woods or running through long grasses or brush during the past two weeks?
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I just wanted to throw some hope in there for you. Mick doesn't run around the back yard like she used to, she's 12 now. But at least she is walking and eating again.
    I'll take any hope I can get, because I have to be honest, the way things are going right now, I expect to find him dead any minute. Every time I walk up to him and he's still breathing, I'm relieved. He's gone downhill so fast. If I at least knew what was wrong, I'd be able to deal with it better, but not knowing, not being able to help him, it's torture. But not near the torture he's going through right now.

I don't care if he never runs after Chewy again, or eats another pair of my underwear, I just want him to live, and be pain free and happy. But living is the main thing on the agenda right now. We'll work on the other two after we have that settled.
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    News report the other day said ticks are a real problem this spring, so check your own body and your animals' bodies after being outdoors, especially in the woods or brush. I just looked up Lyme disease. Lameness in one leg and thirst are two major symptoms. Has Jasper been out in the woods or running through long grasses or brush during the past two weeks?
    That's the only thing bothering me about lyme disease WG.

We live in the burbs. We haven't been to wooded areas in months, because it's been too cold. For the last few months Jasper has been for walks around the neighborhood, walking on cemented sidewalks, and he's been in our yard, which has one tree in it, and it's in the corner.

Lyme disease fits on so many levels. I just don't know how he would have gotten a tick. It's not that common where we live. But I'm telling the vet.
    I'm on hold right now with the vet.

Hoping. This could be the fix.

Is it sad that I hope my dog has lyme disease? At least that can be fixed! It would be something to go on. Something to cure, instead of guessing.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 05:38 PM
    With Lyme disease it can be months before any symptoms show up. I think it is not sad at all to hope it might be that. It certainly would help to have a diagnosis that you could work with.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
    It doesn't matter where you live. Ticks aren't choosy which suburb to hang out in. We're in the 'burbs too and have ticks and have to check ourselves after being outside. Have you gone over his coat/skin inch by inch looking for a tick or a bite mark?

Lyme disease (in dogs) sites say no pain meds are necessary and give certain antibiotics after specific blood tests.
    Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
    Nope, ticks aren't choosy. I live in the burbs and work in the city, I found a tick on me the other night at work... in a HOSPITAL of all places!
    Pets Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Well I got off the phone with the vet clinic. I couldn't talk to one of the vets, but the receptionist is in vet school. I told her what we're dealing with, mentioned lyme disease. She said it's possible, and I should bring him in. They had an emergency spot for tonight. Here's the problem. Rod is at work, and I have no way to reach him. The receptionist at their office leaves at 4pm, it's now almost 7pm, and there's no phone in the shop.

I can't get Jasper to the clinic on my own, because he can't walk, and I can't lift him and get him into the car, even if the kids helped.

I have an appointment for tomorrow. I'm hoping it's not too late.

So my question is this, for anyone that has any suggestions, because other then knowing that lyme disease is caused by ticks, and knowing that antibiotics can cure it, I know nothing else about this disease. So what can I do tonight? Should I continue to force feed him, or is that making things worse? Should I continue with the meds? Is there something at home, or that I can buy, that will help until tomorrow?

Damnit. Now I'm even more frustrated. I can't get him in, and in the meantime, he's laying there getting worse. I even called my neighbor to see if they could help me get him to the clinic. They're not home. In fact, it seems no one that I know that lives nearby is home.

Rod, please call to check up on things. Please call!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need advice regarding pain during sex [ 3 Answers ]

When I have sex it hurts a lot

Limping leg.no sign of pain though? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a five year old Maltese. Last week I noticed him limping a little on his back left leg,(he has been playing with my aunts bigger Whippets for a week) I felt the leg and there wasn't any sign of pain, whimpering etc. when I press or massaged it. I wanted to wait a week before I took...

Limping on and off? [ 7 Answers ]

Trink's been walking funny off and on yesterday and today. There are times when it seems like the right hind joint right at the ankle is "stiff", which makes her gait a little odd... hard to describe, but not as smooth and flowing on that leg as the others, with possibly a bit of a swing out. And...

View more questions Search