Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lancelot82 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
    Tax for 2011 - which form to file
    I will be filing jointly with my wife! She is not eligible to work in US (F2).When I was nonresident for the past 5 years, I use to fill out form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition For use by alien individuals only.) for both my wife and I. Do I need to fill that out this year too as a resident alien for Tax Year 2011? OR Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ are the only forms that I need to fill out? I plan to use Turbotax Federal free version!

Also am I considered to be a resident alien for Tax Year 2011 for state taxes too in California? I use to fill out "California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return 2010" Am I going to fill that one out this year too?

Thanks for all your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
    For 2011 you can file joint return as residents. If you lived in CA in 2011, you will file resident return for CA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am moving to Georgia soon. What address I should use to file TAX -2011. [ 5 Answers ]

I live in virginia for 2011 but now moving to Georgia with in some days. To file TAx return for 2011 what address I should use. I'll stay in hotel for 1 month, so I will't have any permanent address for 1 month period. What address should I use in that case can I use my friends address living in...

Form assistance needed to file tax returns 2011 - (1040EZ or 1040NR) [ 2 Answers ]

I came to US on May 2011 on L1B, my spouse on July 2011 L1B. I am moved back to India on December 2011. I want to file tax as MFJ - married file jointly. We both got SSN. The question is: 2011 is the first time when I visited US. I stayed in US for more than 200 days in 2011. Could you please...

I do not file taxes, but received tax form 1099 are, do I have to file a tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on SSD AND DO NOT FILE TAXES, but I received a form 1099-R showing fderal income taxwithheld for $4093.00 on my pension that I Received.Do I HAVE TO REPORT THIS SINCE THEY TOOK IT OUT Already or do I have to file some kind of form to the IRS. This is the only income I'vd received other than my...

Tax Form 2011 [ 3 Answers ]

My parents will claim me as a dependent. I'm a part time working student and will file as well. Which form should I use to get the biggest refund?

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

View more questions Search