Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charlotte Klatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Withdrawing from 401(k)
    My son-in-law has a 401K with Stover co. that is subsidiary of Emerson. His wife, my dtr. Is very ill with Myositis and cannot walk, cannot control urine output or feces. His boss said he couldn't withdraw funds from the 401K. They need money to put her in a nursing home. HELP!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2012, 07:11 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Not all plans allow in service withdrawals. If the employer is saying they don't do them, then have them show him where the plan says that.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 07:35 AM
    All 401(k) plans are required to allow employees to take withdrawals for any one of six "hardship withdrawal" reasons, one of which is "unreimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents." It's not the boss's call - your son-in-law should contact the 401(k) plan administrator to see how to make the withdrawal happen. They may require that he submit the bills as proof. But be aware that any withdrawals will require him to pay ordinary income tax as well as the 10% early withdrawl penalty even though this is a so-called "hardship" withdrawal (assuming he is under 59-1/2 years of age).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawing 401k [ 6 Answers ]

I want to withdraw my 401k, do the penalties and fees come directly out of that same money? Now, I understand that there's a sixty day replacement period, if not do they take it from your tax refund? Someone please give me an accurate answer with numbers as an example. I'm very new to all this 401k...

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

Withdrawing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I should take my 401K out? I am 62 years old and it is dropping badly. I don't have much in there but where should I put it? Will there be a penalty? Can I put it in CD's or should I just put it in a savings account? Will there be an answer to my question? I asked about...

Withdrawing my 401 [ 1 Answers ]

How much will I lose if I withdraw my 401K?

Withdrawing Funds from 401-K for college tuition [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any penalties for early withdrawal on 401-k for college tuition?

View more questions Search