Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    concerned1408 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 05:34 AM
    I think I fancy my best friend
    Hi, I am 16 and I think I fancy my best friend. We have been friends for 5 years now but I have found myself thinking about her in a sexual way if you know what I mean. She has always been there for me when I have needed her, she tells me that I can tell her anything but if that's true how do you tell your best friend that you fancy her? I don't know how she'd react. She has said that she would never do anything with a girl but I don't know if she was just saying that to cover up in front of everybody else. Nowadays we are always arguing over stupid things, I feel we have drifted apart since I have started to feel like this. I haven't had a boyfriend for about a year now, not because nobody has been interested but because I say no.

Please help me :(
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 21, 2007, 06:06 AM
    You're in a sticky situation here. Many people are extremely uncomfortable having a friend who has feelings for them, regardless of the genders involved. Add to that the discomfort a lot of people have about homosexuality, and you have what amounts to a mine-field to go through.

Even if she is interested in girls, it's likely that she won't accept that until later in life. A lot of gay or bi people struggle with their sexuality and work hard at being straight throughout adolescence, or even longer.

Most of the time, I recommend just going for it when asking someone out. This time is different. You need to be very careful here... you have to be absolutely sure that she's interested before you broach the subject to her. Go with a slow, methodical approach... when it's just the two of you, talk about sexuality, and find out how she feels about homosexuality. If she's actually accepting and reasonably open about it, then move on to confiding that you're occasionally curious about girls. Just say that you are in general, or that you notice them more like guys do than girls do each other... definitely stay away from telling her that you're thinking about her for now. If that goes well, then proceed to bringing it up relative to her.

If, at any point, she seems bothered by the idea, stop. Don't push, and don't get upset about it... people like what people like, and in the arena of sexuality, it often has little to do with the person.

Also, you need to remember that there are always dangers involved in trying to get involved with a friend in that way. You have to decide if this is worth the danger to your friendship.

I'd recommend waiting to get some advice from some of the other people around here, too... this is worth getting several different opinions on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Please help my friend out with this.. [ 4 Answers ]

She met this guy when she came over my house... we decided to go over his friends house one night... her and him got a little bit "cozy'... (not sex just some other things)... but she likes him a lot... and he says that he MIGHT be interested... but he still hasn't given us an answer for sure......

My best friend [ 5 Answers ]

I have known my best friend for more than a decade. Once last year, he confessed that he has feelings for me. I kind of guessed it quite some time ago but I thought it would be better to tackle it when he finally did confess. I told him that I didn't have any romantic feelings for him, but I would...

Looking for an old friend [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for advice on how best to locate an old high school friend. I'd like to start with free or inexpensive services if possible. Only data points I have are her age, maiden name, high school and college.

Friend.. [ 2 Answers ]

yo wat up people!!! ha ha yea well i have a girl who is a frined but she is all of a sudden acting weird. When i am around friends she's uh, over does her luagh. The guys think she has a nice firgure but, her personality is wack. i know that but should i tell her?

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

View more questions Search