Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Warreng Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2004, 09:13 PM
    Basement bathroom rough ins
    I'm in the process of developing my basement. There is no rough-in for bathrooms. I'm putting an ensuite attached to a room with a shower, vanity and toilet. Backing on to this bathroom is another 1/2 bathroom with toilet and sink. There was no future vent put in when the house was built making venting a huge problem. Any suggestions? i.e. Studor vents or venting horizontally to an outside wall. Next question, do all the drain lines tie into one line that leads to the main drain?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2004, 10:52 PM
    Rough In
    First of all, what's a "ensuit" ? My online dictionary doesn't cover it?
    Hey! You're trying to complicate a easy remodel job. Since all you want to install is a toilet and a lavatory and planing on backing this group next to a existing bathroom group, why not use what you already have.
    If this were my job I would break cement from the existing toilet under the wall over to the rough-in on the other side. I would remove the existing closet bend,(save it, you will use it later unless it's cast iron and you wish to convert to PVC) and replace it with a upright combination 1/8 bend and wye to pick up the old toilet . I would extend the open end of the tee over to pick up the new toilet using the old closet bend I would feed water to the new toilet by replacing the 1/2" elbo in the wall with a tee and stubbing out on both sides of the wall.
    For the lavatory I would open up the wall and replace the existing tee with a drainage cross and stub out on both walls. Do the same with the water as you did on the toilet changing the ells for tees.
    The existing lavatory vent will vent both groups and the cement that will have to come up will be minimal. Sound like a plan? Tom
    Warreng Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2004, 07:52 AM
    Basement rough in
    An ensuite is a bathroom attached to a bedroom. Canadian term I guess. There is no bathroom in the basement yet. I have to break the cement and tie the drains for the shower, 2 sinks and 2 toilets into the main line.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2004, 09:00 AM
    Basement Rough In
    I must have missed the part about no existing rough in. Same deal except to establish a tie in point to the main and extend it over to pick up toilet #1 using the same fittings to pick up both toilets. On bath #1 you will tie the lavatorys in downstream from the two toilets with a 4 X2" fitting and the shower in bath#1 with a 2" fitting taking off from the lavatory drain. You will run the lavatory drain up 18" off the floor to the center of a 2" drainage cross where the lavatory drain will then become the vent for both groups. You may then run the vent out the roof or terminate with a Studor Spring Loaded Mechanical Vent if code allows. On bath group #2 proceed as I have advised. Your water pipe will have to take off from a 3/4 main and countinue 3/4" to the second bath where you may reduce to 1/2". Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 9 Answers ]

My house (approx 15 yrs old) has a basement bathroom rough-in. It has 3 pipes protruding, one is 4" in diameter, one is 1 3/4" (inside dia.) & the other is 2" in diameter. Assuming, one (4") is for the toilet, one (1 3/4") is for the shower vent and the other (2") is for the shower drain. The...

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 2 piece rough-in for my basement, but I also want to put in a bathtub. The rough-in includes a 3" abs stub out for the toilet and a 1 1/2" stub out drain that is vented. I'm going to have to break into the concrete... where is the best place to drain into (p trap then into the 3",...

Basement bathroom rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting our basement developed and have a question with regards to roughing in for a bathroom. We have a heated floor and wish to put our bathroom in a different location than what was originally roughed in for. We have had a couple of plumbers advise us against doing this...

Yet another basement bathroom rough in [ 7 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for the broken record, but I'm thinking of roughing in a bathroom in my basement myself. I intended on hiring a plumber until I got the first quote :eek: I have a full bathroom roughed in, with a 12"x12" box with a 2" drain for the shower/tub on the far left. In the...

Basement Bathroom Rough-In [ 7 Answers ]

Good afternoon. I am overhauling my basement and I have removed a 10' x 10' section of slab in order to rough in the drainage for a new bathroom. see layout: http://www.korteco.com/ben/floorplan.jpg My first question is what size pipe (using PVC) should I use for my shower drain. I am...

View more questions Search