Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feistabarbie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Varsity Cheerleader
    Ohla!
    Hi, my name is feistabarbie,and I am completely clueless when it comes to cheerleading!
    So I hope you guys can help me out and answer or give opinion on my questions! Okay , here is my question.In about a year I will be trying out for VArsity cheerleader.I have never been a cheerleader, and never really been really good at gymnastics.I went to gymnastics 2 years ago and only for 2 months and almost had a backhandspring but then one of the teachers left and they were testing out these new people on a interview and they had this girl who was 18 and she was like, 85 pounds, and I weighed like 113!
    She ended up dropping me and messed up my foot and so then I quit.Recently I have decided that I want to become a Varsity cheerleader my freshman year, so I thought I had better work.I weigh a lot now,have some muscle, and some flexibilty.I have been working on my cartwheels,roundoffs,splits and jumps at home because I don't want to go to the class(they remember me)without some skill.I want to at least be able to do a roundoff,cartwheel,roundofftoetouch.My goal is to lose weight over the summer while working on my flexibility and gymnastics.Anything you guys know that I could do somewhere else besides the gym would be great, because there are some cash flow probs.Also I don't want to be in the very beginner class but at least in the class that I know some people.PLEase help me!
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Feb 22, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

Please see the information in your other post.

Link to other post
    cheerchic24 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 03:18 PM
    You sound like your very ambiuos, which is good. I've been a cheerleader/gymnast 4 four yearz. I can say that one of the most important things for cheerleading is having good motions. 4 tumbling I would suggest perfecting your round-offs because thaz the start 2 any good running tumbling. 4 toe-touchs do alota streches and squat jumps. At tryouts, SMILE! Act like your nawt nervos and you were born 2 do this. Get your sleep and don't worry! If u practiced a lot and you no your rotine you will do fine!! Good luck

Feb 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Question
    Okay, I am curently working on my roundoff, but I am not sure if my legs are straight(they fell like it)but my landing is way off.I land with my feet to far back, and they either bend or my feet are to far apart.Any way to fix this would be awesome.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Feb 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
    The round off, while considered a low level skill, is one of the most difficult to do well.

I am concerned that your feet are landing too far back as this places too much stress on the ankles which will lead to injuries.

With the little information that I have, I would suggest two things.

1. You need much more block with the shoulders and push off with the hands

This will help to elevate the hips and lift the chest. You can do block pushes off of the wall to help. You could also get someone to help hold you in a handstand while you do shoulder shrugs upside down to strengthen that area.

2. You need to snap the legs down into a hollow body

When you do a round off your feet should actually land right about where your hands were on the ground. You need to learn to snap into a hollow body to achieve this. (Click here to read more about the hollow body position)

You could have a friend hold you in a handstand and practice snapping down while you block off of the ground trying to make your feet land as close to where your hands were as possible.

As far as the bent legs go, have someone watch you and tell you how bent they are. You may even want to use a video camera and play it back on slo-mo to see it better. Your legs should be together and straight by the time you reach the vertical.
    cheerchic24 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Try taking some tumbling classes. They will tell you what you're doing wrong and how to make it better. If you didn't like the coachs at the tumbling place you went to, ask for a different one. By now, they will probably havve many new coachs. You might also want to try a different gym. If you're unable to go to a gym often, try just going once or twice. It'll probably be enough to determine what your doing wrong and how to fix it. Hope this helpped:)
    Cheer4WPW Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I have not seen you do your roundoff so I am not sure if this is what you need but try to keep your legs locked, tight , and together in the air!! Also pull your chest up when you land!! Good Luck!! ;) ;) ;)

Aug 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Ooh thanks everyone for the advice:)
    And cheer4wpw, thanks for telling me to bring up my chest when I land! it helps me land straighter.I used to still have my hadns on the floor and now it helps me bring them off!
    CheerU Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Aug 12, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by feistabarbie
    Ohla!!
    Hi, my name is feistabarbie,and I am completely clueless when it comes to cheerleading!!
    So I hope you guys can help me out and answer or give opinion on my questions!!Okay , here is my question.In about a year I will be trying out for VArsity cheerleader.I have never been a cheerleader, and never really been really good at gymnastics.I went to gymnastics 2 years ago and only for 2 months and almost had a backhandspring but then one of the teachers left and they were testing out these new people on a interview and they had this girl who was 18 and she was like, 85 pounds, and I weighed like 113!!
    She ended up dropping me and messed up my foot and so then I quit.Recently I have decided that I want to become a Varsity cheerleader my freshman year, so I thought I had better work.I weigh alot now,have some muscle, and some flexibilty.I have been working on my cartwheels,roundoffs,splits and jumps at home because I dont want to go to the class(they remember me)without some skill.I want to atleast be able to do a roundoff,cartwheel,roundofftoetouch.My goal is to lose weight over the summer while working on my flexibility and gymnastics.Anything you guys know that I could do somewhere else besides the gym would be great, because there are some cash flow probs.Also I don't wanna be in the very beginner class but atleast in the class that i know some people.PLEase help me!!
    Well most varsity cheerleaders have to have backhandsprings so go to your local cheer gym and sign up for a beginners tumbling lesson also practice tight motions
    Good Luck! My fellow cheerleader
    iloveLf221 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Aug 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Well, I think that you may have a chance, I have been a cheerleader since I was about four years old, and I'm thirteen now, I know cheerleading like the back of my hand, I made the Varsity squad this year, and it has been a blast, I also went to cheering camp this summer, which was awesome, and my team actually got some libs and one-legged stunts up, and we also got a trophie for Most Improved, anyway, cheerleading isn't all about how high you jump is, but it's about how much spirit you have. When cheerleading you should always smile, and remember when you are doing your facials and you feel stupid, than you're doing it right! I think that if you keep up the practice, than you WILL become a cheerleader! Just don't give up! Keep working on your round-off, and remember to point your toes, it helps to keep your legs straight. Like I said, just keep practicing, and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make it on the varsity basketball team [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Well I'm writeing to see if I can get any tips or secerets on how to make the varsity team please help me Here's a little about me I am 6"1 inch tall and I weight 155 and I'm only 15 years old and I am a sophomore in hig school And what would be my best possison on the team caus in the...

Varsity Next season [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a question since basketball season was over. I been doing track and I been doing so much better with my running skills. I doing so much with my endurance and stamina. Since track season is over now. I been concentrating with basketball and been practicing and I getting ready for the...

About Varsity [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I really having some problems and my problem is what am I going to do when next year basketball season because I don't if I want to try out j.v again or varsity and see I'm going to be a junior next year, and if I try out for varsity, I know that I'm not going to get any playing timr because...

View more questions Search