Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amolson Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Adjusting Entries - 2 days of calculations and still wrong!
    The balance in the Prepaid Insurance account ($4,675) represents the remaining balance of a two-year policy purchased on April 1, 2004. (October 31, 2005 is the date of the Unadjusted Trial Balance).

I have been working on this entry for 2 days now and I can't seem to get my numbers right. I think that this is the entry that is screwing it up. My gut instinct says not to put an adjusting entry in the Prepaid Insurance account because the $4,675 is the REMAINING balance and is correct. I do know that I need to debit the insurance expense account (which as a zero balance at the end of October) but I don't know which account to credit.

This is one answer that I had:
    Insurance Expense - DR $17,765
    Prepaid Insurance - CR $17,765
    ** I am sure this is incorrect

This is another one:
    Insurance Expense - DR $17,765
    Cash - CR $17,765
    ** I know this is incorrect too

I guess there is also the option that I have my figure incorrect as well.

I could really use some help. My instructor in the course isn't very reliable to respond to my emails and she is not very nice.

Cheers,

Amanda
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 11:11 PM
    What is the Insurance Expense for Fiscal year 2005 (Nov. 1, 2004 – Oct. 31, 2005)?

Original Policy = 2 years = 24 months
    4,675 left on Oct. 31/05, meaning there are 5 months left in the policy.

How is it 5 months left?
    April 1/04 – Oct 31/04 = 7 months
    Nov 1/04 – Oct 31/05 = 12 months
    Left = 5 months (24-7-12)

Therefore, 4,675 / 5 = 935 per month
    935 x 12 = $11,220

Therefore, the insurance expense should be $11,220

If we are to assume they have indeed made the journal entry (credit) to take down prepaid insurance, we are just to assume they forgot the debit entry, so we must:

Dr. Insurance Expense 11,220

Feb 21, 2007, 09:11 AM
    So you are saying that I do a single entry and only debit insurance expense? I don't think I can do that. I would have to have a credit that equals the $11,200. I see now that I have to assume that the first fiscal year was journalized correctly. I didn't even think of that. Thank you.

Within the same question that I am working on, there is another issue that I've come across. I am given an unadjusted trial balance with numerous accounts and balances. The adjusting journal entries that I have to create are for many of the different accounts. Some accounts are repeated throughout the adjusting journal entries. For example: Consulting Fees Earned.

In my unadjusted trial balance, the balance in this account is $157,300 (CR). During my adjusting entries, I have credited $580 and debited $3000 (for previous adjusting entries). I then come to an entry that states that accrued wages at October 31 totalled $3,400. Then, there is another adjusting journal entry that is required in a question after this.

Now, at this stage I don't know what the balance of that account is so what kind of journal entry am I supposed to do to have the balance of $157,300 come down to $3,400?? Maybe I am thinking too much on this question, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I figured that I would debit accounts receivable and credit consulting fees earned, but that won't get me the correct balance. I wonder if I am supposed to create another account? Something called accrued consulting fees. But that is the same as Consulting Fees Earned! Aarrgghhh! I feel like throwing my book out!

Thank you CF, you are an amazing help and I am so glad that I found this site. You are so much nicer than my instructor! Ha ha
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amolson
    So you are saying that I do a single entry and only debit insurance expense? I don't think I can do that. I would have to have a credit that equals the $11,200. I see now that I have to assume that the first fiscal year was journalized correctly. I didn't even think of that. Thank you.
    In the real world, no one would ever just Cr. Prepaid for 11,200 and leave it at that, but homework questions aren't like that.

Most likely we are to assume that they did Cr. Prepaid 11,200 and that was it (meaning they forgot the debit entry). Therefore, all you need is the debit entry to complete the impartial credit entry made earlier.

The point of the question was to figure out Insurance Expense, knowing that you had to take the balance and divide by 5 to get the per month rate and then multiply it by 12.

Within the same question that I am working on, there is another issue that I've come across. I am given an unadjusted trial balance with numerous accounts and balances. The adjusting journal entries that I have to create are for many of the different accounts. Some accounts are repeated throughout the adjusting journal entries. For example: Consulting Fees Earned.

In my unadjusted trial balance, the balance in this account is $157,300 (CR). During my adjusting entries, I have credited $580 and debited $3000 (for previous adjusting entries). I then come to an entry that states that accrued wages at October 31 totalled $3,400. Then, there is another adjusting journal entry that is required in a question after this.

Now, at this stage I don't know what the balance of that account is so what kind of journal entry am I supposed to do to have the balance of $157,300 come down to $3,400??? Maybe I am thinking too much on this question, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I figured that I would debit accounts receivable and credit consulting fees earned, but that won't get me the correct balance. I wonder if I am supposed to create another account? Something called accrued consulting fees. But that is the same as Consulting Fees Earned! aarrgghhh! I feel like throwing my book out!
    I have read this twice and I am confused as to what you are saying.

Here is what I THINK you are saying:

The balance of your unadjusted trial balance is Dr/Cr of 157,300
    Then you made some changes and your adjusted trial balance should have a Dr/Cr balance of 3,400?

That is very unlikely, do you have the numbers right? Seems like a mistake to me, but it is possible

What I think you might mean is the 3,400 is the accrued wages at Oct 31 is 3,400.

Meaning you need a JE for that,
    Dr. Salaries Expense 3,400
    Cr. Salaries Payable 3,400

Feb 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Thanks CF! I went through my question again and I think I had just drove myself nuts with looking at it that I missed some important information. Yikes! Time for some sleep!

Thanks again for the assurance to just do the one entry.

You're a doll!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 05:42 PM
    You're welcome!

Feb 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
    So, I've entered these figures and I thought that it would add up, but of course, it doesn't.

Below is the Unadjusted Trial Balance figures and the questions and my answers that I have so far. I am supposed to put these transactions into T-accounts and then get a total DR balance of $243,280. I am approximately $10,000 out.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I am so frustrated right now I could spit! :mad:

Cash DR 14,000
    Accounts Receivable DR 28,000
    Interest Receivable DR 0
    Notes Receivable DR 15,000
    Supplies DR 2,300
    Prepaid Insurance DR 4,675
    Prepaid Rent DR 10,500
    Office Furniture DR 30,720
    Accum. Amort, Furn. CR 10,240
    Accounts Payable CR 17,500
    Wages Payable CR 0
    Unearned Consulting Fees CR 6,580
    Capital CR 30,000
    Withdrawals DR 8,225
    Consulting Fees Earned CR 157,300
    Interest Revenue CR 700
    Amort. Expense, Furn. DR 0
    Wages Expense DR 73,500
    Insurance Expense DR 0
    Rent Expense DR 32,000
    Supplies Expense 3,400

It was determined that $6,000 of the unearned consulting fees had not yet been earned
    Unearned Consulting Fees 580DR
    Consulting Fees Earned 580CR

It was discovered that $3000 of the balance in the Consulting Fees Earned account was for services to be performed in November.
    Consulting Fees Earned 3,000DR
    Unearned Consulting Fees 3,000CR

The balance in the Prepaid Rent account represents three months of rent beginning September 1, 2005.
    Rent Expense 7,000DR
    Prepaid Rent 7,000CR

Accrued wages at October 31 totalled $3,400.
    Wages Expense 3,400DR
    Wages Payable 3,400CR

The office furniture was purchased on March 1, 2004, and has an estimated useful life of two years. After two years of use, it is expected that the furniture will be worthless.
    Amortization Expense, Furniture 15,360DR
    Accum. Amortization, Furniture 15,360CR

Accrued consulting fees at year-end totalled $2,100.
    Cash 25,900DR
    Accounts Receivable 25,900CR

Interest of $100 had accrued on the note receivable for the month of October.
    Interest Receivable 100DR
    Interest Revenue 100CR

The balance in the Prepaid Insurance account represents the remaining balance of a two-year policy purchased on April 1, 2004.
    Insurance Expense 11,220DR
    ? 11,220CR

A count of the supplies on October 31 revealed a balance remaining of $450.
    Supplies Expense 1,850DR
    Supplies 1,850CR
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I agree with all of your adjusting Journal Entries except the following:

Accrued consulting fees at year-end totalled $2,100.
    Cash 25,900DR
    Accounts Receivable 25,900CR
    Dr. AR 2,100
    Cr. Revenue 2,100

Where did the 25,900 even come from?

The balance in the Prepaid Insurance account represents the remaining balance of a two-year policy purchased on April 1, 2004.
    Insurance Expense 11,220DR
    ? 11,220CR
    Prepaid Insurance DR 4,675

Of the 24 month policy, 7 months have been used up (April 1/04 – Oct 31/04).

We need to record 12 months.

4,675 / 17 x 12 = 3,300

Dr. Insurance Expense 3,300
    Cr. Prepaid Insurance 3,300

These JE give you a Dr/Cr balance on your adjusted trial balance of 243,280.

Feb 28, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    What is the Insurance Expense for Fiscal year 2005 (Nov. 1, 2004 – Oct. 31, 2005)?

Original Policy = 2 years = 24 months
    4,675 left on Oct. 31/05, meaning there are 5 months left in the policy.

How is it 5 months left?
    April 1/04 – Oct 31/04 = 7 months
    Nov 1/04 – Oct 31/05 = 12 months
    Left = 5 months (24-7-12)

Therefore, 4,675 / 5 = 935 per month
    935 x 12 = $11,220

Therefore, the insurance expense should be $11,220

If we are to assume they have indeed made the journal entry (credit) to take down prepaid insurance, we are just to assume they forgot the debit entry, so we must:

Dr. Insurance Expense 11,220
    So the insurance expense should still be $3,300 as per your answer above rather than the $11,220 that you mention here? I see where you get your answer, I just want to confirm.

Thanks again CF
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 09:39 PM
    I See I have calculated 2 different values for insurance expense, based on 2 different assumptions.

The first time I calculated Insurance Expense, I assumed the 4,675 was the balance remaining.

I have been working on this entry for 2 days now and I can't seem to get my numbers right. I think that this is the entry that is screwing it up. My gut instinct says not to put an adjusting entry in the Prepaid Insurance account because the $4,675 is the REMAINING balance and is correct. I do know that I need to debit the insurance expense account (which as a zero balance at the end of October) but I don't know which account to credit.

The second time I based it on a different wording of the question.

What is right? Who knows anymore. But if I would have to guess, I will go with the wording the second time, and say that the 4,675 is the value at the beginning which makes the Insurance Expense 3,300

I would go with the assumption here that they didn't just credit Prepaid Insurance without doing anything else.

But one thing I have learned from homework questions over the years is that something they are intentionally worded cryptic and/or confusing in what they do.

I would go with 3,300. If your totals don't balance, perhaps then that was the wrong choice.

Mar 14, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Hey CF, it turns out that it may be the wrong answer because my net income is about $15000 above what it should be. I don't have my text in front of me right now, but I do know that the net income should be about $17,000. I will have to go further to talk to my instructor I see.

Thanks for all your help CF

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting entries [ 2 Answers ]

How would I journalize this adjusting entry 1. A total of $640 worthof advertising copy, paid for and correctly charged to the advertising Expense account, will be published in January editions next quarter. My answer is Prepaid advertising debit 640 Advrtisng expense credit 640

Adjusting entries [ 2 Answers ]

unadjusted entries 3/4- paid 1360 rent for march 1 through April 30 (680/month) 3/29 - received 980 for patients on accnt 3/31- paid following expenses:salaries (1400) advertising (85) insurance (400) adjusting entries 1- dental services worth 100 performed on accnt on march 31 for the...

Adjusting Entries [ 2 Answers ]

Hoping someone can check my answer for a homework question. They did not give much info, so I want to verfiy I am correct (for example: not sure if the month a pre-paid rent hits, if it deducts that month). Thanks in advance! GUNFLINTADVENTURES ...

Adjusting Entries [ 1 Answers ]

Original Journal Entry: Negotiated Bank loan on September 12, in the amount of $20,000. Prepare a journal entry to issue a 60-day, 10% note to the bank for that amount. What would be the interest due on note? Adjusting Entry for September 30th - Accrue interest on note payable ($20,000) use a...

View more questions Search