Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Imhiding Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Given the following variables in the open economy aggregate expenditure model,
    The following is my assignement and I am confused on the last part (c). I believe I am just setting the function wrong.

Given the following variables in the open economy aggregate expenditure model, autonomous consumption (Co) = 200, autonomous investment (Io) = 200, government spending (Go) = 100, export spending (Xo) = 100, autonomous import spending (Mo) = 100, taxes (Tp) = 0, marginal propensity to consume (Ci) = 0.8, marginal propensity to invest (i1), and marginal propensity to import (Mi) = 0.15,
    a. Calculate the equilibrium level of income for the economy aggregate expenditure model.
    b. If there is an increase in autonomous import expenditure from 100 to 200 resulting from an increase in the currency exchange rate, calculate the new equilibrium level of income and the value of the multiplier.
    c. Compared with the original equilibrium in part a, if the government decides to impose taxes (Tp) of 100, calculate the equilibrium level of income.
    d. Hint: Remember that consumption has an autonomous component and is a function of disposable income Yd, where Yd = Y – Tp.

I have done:
    (a) Ye=2,000
    (b) Ye=1,600 and m=4

The formula I used for (a) & (b):
    E=Co+c1+Io+i1y+Go+Xo-Mo-m1Y
    E=Co+Io+Go+Xo+Mo+(0.75+0.10-0.25)Y
    E = Co + Io + Go + Xo – Mo + (c1 + i1 – m1)Y
    E = 200 + 200 + 100 + 100 – 100 + (0.8 + 0.1 – 0.15)Y
    E = 500 + 0.75Y
    Y = 500 + 0.75Y
    Y –i 0.75Y = 500
    0.25Y = 500
    YE = 2,000

With Part C
    I believe the formula should be:
    E=Co+c1(Y-Tp)+Io+i1y+Go+Xo-Mo-m1Y
    I am cofused how to infuse the (Y-Tp) in the formula.

Should it be 500+0.075y+y or 500+0.75y2 or 500+0.75+1

Please help

Thanks

Check out some similar questions!

Aggregate planned expenditure and real GDP [ 3 Answers ]

I learned in economics that the main reason why Aggreggate planned expenditure (APE) and real GDP are not always equal is because of inventories. This is entirely understandable. However, HOW they are related is a bit confusing. If APE exceeds real GDP, then they sell more than they produce. ...

Recorded as Revenue Expenditure and ser up as Capital Expenditure [ 1 Answers ]

A company purchased a new computer for $4000 and a stack of writable CDs for $28. By accident the computer was recorded as a revenue expenditure and the stack was set up as a capital expenditure. Three months later depreciation for the year was calculated using the declining balance method (use 20%...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.