Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Mar 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Good exercises for soccer player running out of breath
    I coach a U14 Boys soccer team and one of my players says he runs out of breath very easily. I used to have this problem (still do when I play).

He is asking for conditioning exercises he could do to develop his lung capacity and keep him from getting winded so easily. I've told him to warm up a lot before getting on to the field, but are there other things he can do besides this? It seems like a common issue so I've got to believe there are exercises I can recommend he do.

BTW - he is sure he doesn't have any respiratory issues likes asthma and he's not overweight or anything like that. He's a reasonably healthy 14year old.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.
    madison316 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2012, 07:33 AM
    Well I play soccer and I have that problem when I play on my varsity team I have to run allot because I'm only 11, I would run 3 laps around the field and after doing that for 2 weeks my problem was gone but don't make him run the whole way if he's not capable but tell him to try to do that!

Mar 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Madison: Thanks for your answer. What pace worked for you? I mean were you doing a slow jog or where you running a good rate? I'm curious because I am a sprinter but when I have to run a long distance I run VERY slow - otherwise I run out of breath. And I think that's true for my player as well.

But again thanks for the advice - I'll definitely try it out.
    Surreyunited13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
    I play on a provincial team and sometimes I have this problem. Normally, I go for 20-30 minute runs, which help a lot!

Mar 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
    SurreyUnited - So I tried running with this kid (which was hard for me ;-) But he was just exhausted after going at a Very slow pace (12 minute mile). Do you think it's because he just doesn't have the lungs or is he being lazy and I need to push him more? How often should he be doing this - every day, once a week? I have practices just once a week and obviously I can't use all that time to have him run laps. It's a little frustrating as the other kids are blazing past him and going the distance...

Thanks again for your help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
    I think he should be evaluated for exercise induced asthma. My daughter has this. While it's not considered asthma in the way most people think if it, it causes someone to get winded easy when exercising. When she ran track or was on swim team she had to carry an inhaler with her.
    Surreyunited13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
    rpray2007- I'm sorry that didn't work for him. See, I'm only 12, but playing at a pretty high level. Make sure that he is always drinking water! I hate having to always be taking it in, but it improves my performance. Also, make sure that he is eating properly and maybe get him checked out. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any good exercises for football? [ 2 Answers ]

Any good exersises to get in shape for high school football

Good weight lifting or any type of exercises for 16-18 yr old [ 5 Answers ]

I need some weightlifting or just exercise tips (no matter how random), that may help in muscle building.. for a teen that is safe, easy and inexpensive. p.s. I know about the running and diet stuff... most diet stuff

Good butt exercises? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 17 year old girl and I've been on a diet for about 2 months now. I've lost 25 pounds so far. But I can't seem to lose any weight in my butt. (no pun intended) I've lost weight everywhere else but I can't seem to lose it in my butt! Unless I am not noticing, which I doubt. It makes me...

Does anyone know any good leg exercises? [ 4 Answers ]

:) Hi again, Does anyone know any good exercises for your legs? I really want to burn the fat off, and gain muscle.Anything would be great even if it is just one exercise.Thanks a million.:)

View more questions Search