Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megan522 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
    How do I install runner between carpet and laminate flooring?
    We've installed the flooring and there is a half inch gap between the them. The flooring is installed on top of concrete. We have purchased a runner from home depot, however it did not come with any instructions and there are no pre-drilled holes. So how do we attach it? Glue? Finish nails into the laminate?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Assuming that by runner you mean some kind of wood edge molding. (to me a runner is a long narrow piece of carpet)
    The best approach depends on some extent on how long it is l. If it is in a door way and about 3' long the best approach is probably to glue it down with construction adhesive. You will have to apply enough construction adhesive to the floor to insure that the molding is embedded in it. Weight it down for several days while the adhesive dries. Clean up construction adhesive with mineral spirits (paint thinner).
    If the wood edging is longer than that you should probably attach it to the floor with fasteners. That will require you to drill holes in the floor and drive in wooden pegs, secured with adhesive. Then nail through the molding into the wooden pegs with finish nails. You can use screws but that would not be very aesthetically pleasing. Drilling in the concrete will require a hammer drill. Regular drill with masonry bits will not work.

Unlikely that trying to nail to the laminate flooring will work, its just not thick enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lock n seal laminate flooring install [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone installed lock n seal laminate flooring over the top of carpeting? Is it even possible? The carpeting has a foam backing and is glued to a wood subfloor. Any ideas welcome.

Laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to be installing some click laminate flooring. I have 2 bedrooms that lead out to a common hallway. I want to run the bedrooms one direction and the hall the other. How do I join the laminate in the doorways without using a transition strip?

Laminate flooring transition to raised vinyl flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Installer put new 1/4' subfloor in bathroom last year when installing new Tarkett (vinyl) flooring, with a metal strip transition to existing hall carpet. Now we are installing 12mm laminate in hall, which with underlay, is approximately the same height. However, when the metal strip was removed,...

Laminate flooring [ 19 Answers ]

What is the BEST and EASIEST Laminate flooring to install? I previously installed SHAW brand in my Son's bedroom and they didn't snap in well at all. Can I tack in some of the flooring that is sticking up with brad nails? Thanks.

Laminate Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I bought some laminate flooring and after about 5-6 months it seems like one area of the floor has air underneath it. We left a .25 inch space around the whole livingroom but we still have a huge problem. What can we do to fix this. It seems like one section of the flooring looks...

View more questions Search