Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    perezeddie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2004, 09:54 AM
    How much space does windows 2000 take up when loaded?
    When windows 2000 is preinstalled on a used computer, how much space does it take up?

The reason I am asking is that our computer was given to us by my company with around 4 GB of hard drive space. It was preloaded with windows 2000. However, we don't have much on it since we got the computer, yet it's almost out of space. We have tried all of the recommendations on how to clean out our computer.

My wife seems to believe that since it was originally a company computer, that they sometimes "lock off" space, that no one can use. In other words, there is free space available, but no one but the IT Administrator can access it?

Please advice in layman's terms. I am a novice.

Thanks
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 29, 2004, 07:41 PM
    Minimum Requirements:

Computer/Processor: 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.

Memory: At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM; more memory generally improves responsiveness.

Hard Disk: 2 GB with 650 MB free space.

CPU Support: Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems.

Drive: CD-ROM or DVD drive.

Display: VGA or higher resolution monitor.

Dec 2, 2004, 11:07 AM
    Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question
    Thanks for responding, but I wasn't asking what is the min requirements. It was how much space does windows 2000 operating system take up?
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 2, 2004, 01:37 PM
    Roughly, something between 500 MBytes and 1 Gigabyte. Depending on the whisles and bells that are installed.
    There probably is a lot of junk left over on that computer, but if you're a newbe then it is not trivial to know the difference between unneeded and required files and folders.
    First try a "disk cleanup":
    START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-SYSTEM TOOLS-DISK CLEANUP
    Select the disk (C), wait for the analysis to end, click ON every item and let it run.
    If the result is not satifactory, you will need help from an experienced friend to uninstall programs and to delete folders that you don't need.

Dec 3, 2004, 08:37 AM
    Thanks for the reply
    Thank you.

That's what I needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Xp/2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows 2000 installed - can I install XP over this? If not how do I remove 2000 before I install xp? Thanks

Windows 2000 [ 2 Answers ]

Can I install windows 2000 over windows ME without losing any of my programs or information? Thanks

Networking windows xp and 2000 [ 4 Answers ]

I have one windows 2000 computer and one windows xp. They can both connect to the internet through the cable modem on a 10/10 network. I can not, however, get them to connect to each other. I tried running network setup wizard and that didn't help. They are both on the same workgroup. Does anyone...

Windows xp or 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently signed up for a class for windows 2000 professional. When I arrived for the class it was for XP professional. I am pursuing a MCSA and both are good for the os portion. However I am wondering if I would be better off studying 2000 instead?

View more questions Search