Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    polande Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Who covers water main break damage
    Hi,
    We own a building here in NJ and we had a water main that broke up the block which flooded two of our apartments. We were unable to stay in thebuilding and had to be evacuated on rafts at 5am 2/9/07. Both families that lived in both basements lost everything.We called Unted Water and they said it was a natural cause(the cold) therefore they will not cover us.We have insurance but not flood as we do not live near a large body of water but our insurance won't cover us either! We are getting the door shut in our faces everywhere we turn! We have more than 40k in damages downstairs and I don't know whose going to resolve this!It's so unfair !
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Feb 20, 2007, 07:24 PM
    You didn't mention seeking Govt assistance with your losses but FEMA did help some people flooded by the hurricanes a couple of years ago. Why not ask" Then if you are going to stay there, buy flood insurance for sure unless you're willing to take the risk again. Like the levees in New Orleans, those folks might only need flood insurance once in their lifetime - consequently many didn't believe it would ever happen to them. It's just depends only your tolerance for risk, etc. But heck ask FEMA, Red Cross for help. I would also pursue some restitution from the utility company and I mean vigorously. Might be they were negligent in some fashion, like not maintaining the lines, etc. I am no utility contractor but with your hugh $ amount loss, might be worth either you or a trained professional like an attorney digging into the matter.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Hello polande:

I think you need an attorney.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Water Damage To Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I came home tonight to find my finished basement floating.My sump pump failed during the night or this morning and I have outside perimeter drains that drain into my sump pit (of course it has been raining for 2 nights and days non stop). When I stepped of the stairs my foot was just barely...

Problem with water damage [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter and roommate are students at KCAI. They leased a 2 bedroom apartment in July 2005. The property has a one bedroom unit underneath which is/was gutted and being renovated. They had completed putting blown installation in the ceiling and were dry walling the unit. My daughter’s apartment...

View more questions Search