Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Agatha1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 6, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Squatter's rights
    When can a trespasser occupy a sight and gain legal ownership of it?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 05:59 AM
    Why are you asking? Would this be property be in Siberia... Iran... The Congo? Important info since laws vary greaty across the world... and this site is international in nature.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 6, 2012, 08:59 AM
    If you are talking about the US then you are referring to taking ownership under the law of adverse possession. The requirements for gaining title by adverse possession differ depending on the state. Let us know which state the property is in and we can tell you the specific requirements.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2012, 06:38 PM
    I see we have a VERY rude poster that thinks we can all read minds as to WHERE this mysterious property exists... the fact they VERY rudely gave an unhelpful for asking tells me they think they are wanting to know how to steal someone else's property without having to pay for it.

Its also clear they can't grasp the fact that whatever country they live in isn't the only english speaking one in the world... are grasp the fact that people of NON-english speaking countries frequent this site...

Personally I hope they find themselves sued or in jail for criminal tresspass by the rightful owners. People that ignorant deserve it.
    Agatha1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 8, 2012, 03:12 PM
    I guess I didn't ask the question correctly. I read about squatters in the paper and wanted to know more about it. I feel so sorry for the people who are under water on their homes or are going through foreclosure. I was interested in knowing if a squatter cold take over their home.
    I am not a squatter nor do I plan to be. I am a retired teacher from Florida and am blessed to own my home. :)
    Thank you, Lisa from New Jersey, for your response.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2012, 03:44 PM
    It isn't so much that you ask the question incorrectly, but more that you asked for a simplisitic answer to a complex issue. No they can't just take over someone's property. Do some research on adverse possession. Generally adverse possession is used to take over a portion of a property that has been used by a neighbor. But it might be used to take possession of a whole property.

However, the rules for adverse possession make it difficult for someone to just trespass on a property and claim it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction/Squatter's rights... [ 5 Answers ]

My neighbor has an expired lease with her landlord. Her mother moved in when she (the mother) was evicted from another apartment and signed an additional, independent lease, which has also expired. The daughter wants the mother out, but doesn't know if it's up to her to proceed or for the landlord...

Squatter's Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My mom owns apartments in New Jersey. There is a "tenant" there who has been there since June 2006 and has not paid a dime of rent or utilities. The original agreement was that he would be the handiman and he would get to live in one of the apartments for $400 per month. He also was responsible...

Squatter's rights [ 1 Answers ]

What are the squatter's rights laws in the state of Texas?

Squatter's Rights [ 8 Answers ]

I moved into a house almost 4 yrs ago. My boyfriend and I had broken up and then got back together 5 months after I got my own place. We decided that he would pay the rent and I would pay my Car Payments, the phone, electric and internet bill, and Car Insurance on both of our vehicles. Now I want...

View more questions Search