Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandabrook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 03:08 AM
    Can my ex sign his rights away and not help support our daughter in Tennessee.
    I got involved with a married man. Well I ended up pregnant and he turned his back to me and walked out on me and went back to his wife. Well when he left I lost everything. Now I'm 24 weeks pregnant with our babygirl and I'm working 2 jobs and thinking about quitting one job and try to get a little help from the government. But they require a dna test which would make him pay child support and he has been winning to me that he can't afford it. He said that he could sign all his rights over to me and he wouldn't have to pay. But question is is that possible. Can he really do that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2012, 04:04 AM
    There is this myth that a parent can't just sign over their rights, but that's all it is; a myth.

You might want to read this sticky from the top of this forum: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

This is a frequently asked and answered question.

Let him whine all he wants. If he couldn't afford child support, he should have kept it in his pants.

And yes, if you want Public Assistance, they will want to have the father identified so he can help support his child instead of the taxpayers. You can't file for support yet, not until the baby is born. But once you give birth you should file for support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dcf made me sign over my rights can I get my daughter back? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughters father and I had a physical argument and dcf was called.the whole thing ended up going on for two years.my mother kept calling on my husband and I even know nothing else was happening.he actually was the one to put his hands on me.anyway,it got to the point where dcf told me that I had...

Where do I go to get a paper for my daughter biological dad to sign his rights over! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a daughter with this guy who doesn't see or buy my daughter anything, she is now 3 yrs old and I have a wonderful man in my life who she knows as daddy he buys her eveything she needs and wants and takes care of her like his own! He wants to adopt her and when I asked her biologial dad to...

How can my ex sign his rights to our daughter away? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I have been going through a nasty divorce for three years now and our child is caught in the middle of it. He has never helped in anyway shape or form to support her till child support started garninshing his wage's just recently. Every time she came back from his house there would always...

How to get my daughter father to sign his rights off [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter is 3yrs old and her biological father has never seen her nor has he paid child support that he was ordered to pay. Now he has been in prison for the last 2yrs and will continue to be in there till 2012. How can I go about either having him sign his rights away or would my father be able...

Ex sign away rights and partner adopt daughter [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. I need to know what the steps are that need to be taken in order to have my ex sign away his rights and have my partner adopt her. I'm in Oregon and we are not yet married. Is there any way to do this out of court?

View more questions Search