Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksriley7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
    3 year old doesn't talk
    My son will be three in March. He started saying a few words at 15 months and then stopped. He had several ear infections during the time he stopped talking and had tubes put in his ears at 21 months old. He does hear and seems to understand everything that is said to him, but he doesn't say but 2-3 words. He makes lots of different noises and points to things he wants. I am ready to take him to a speech therapist, but we live in a very rural town, over 170 miles from a therapist. Any ideas or similar situations that you could help me with? I am very concerned. :( Thank you
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 18, 2007, 11:38 PM
    I am an early childhood educator and based on what you have shared I would recommend you to talk to the Health Department - they offer speech, hearing, vision, etc. It could be that the speech is delayed due to hearing. I would strongly recommend reading to your child. Literacy really helps speech. I am not sure which country you live in, however if you call the health department they are very resourceful. Maybe if there is a hospital in your town as well, they may have some resourceful people.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 01:20 AM
    Speech therapist is very important right now.

I have experienced exactly what your son is experiancing. I had tubes put in several times on each ear when I was a baby. Ear infections, fluid in the ear can effect the speech and hearing. Even though he may seem like he understands. You need to get his hearing tested as well. Very important.

When older I was put into a special class because I had problems with speech development and it did have to do with the ear infections and endless ear tubes being put in.

It does get better believe me. It might depend on how much his hearing has been effected and what kind of treatment and learning tools are available.

Be patient, but also do not hesitate to get help ASAP.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 05:01 AM
    I agree with every answer you have so far, I just want to add one more idea:

It could also be that he doesn't have to talk. You say he makes noises and points at things he wants. Do you give them to him? If so, then he doesn't have to talk.

My son did this too, I called it "monkeying" because he sounded like a little monkey boy when he would point and make his noises. When I stopped giving him what he wanted and made him say the word, the speech began to flow like a charm.

If your child points at the fridge for some juice and makes a noise, you can ask him if he wants juice. "Do you want juice? Say juice." etc. Now my little one won't be quiet and he is almost 5.

Try this while you are waiting for confirmation about a speech therapist.
    mduncan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ksriley7
    My son will be three in March. He started saying a few words at 15 months and then stopped. He had several ear infections during the time he stopped talking and had tubes put in his ears at 21 months old. He does hear and seems to understand everything that is said to him, but he doesn't say but 2-3 words. He makes lots of different noises and points to things he wants. I am ready to take him to a speech therapist, but we live in a very rural town, over 170 miles from a therapist. Any ideas or similar situations that you could help me with? I am very concerned. :( Thank you
    :) hello my son turned 2 in September, he says mama and dada, and that's it, he points, makes noises, and all that, I'm concerned when he was an infant they did a genetics test on him, they said he had a hole cromozone missing it was called number 22q cromozone syndrome. I hope to God, I will hear him say mom I love you. I hope he is just slow to his speech. He was slow to everything else, I do not know what I would do but just love him. It worries me so much, I hope he can hear. They are going to do some testing on him with his speech through parents as teachers, and possibly set it all up.
    I just hope that he turns out to be as normal as possible, BUT GOD give me strength to handle and accept everything, I love him. I Just do not know what to do.. I am searching as you are. VERY CONCERNED AND LOVING PARENT.
    cindy1924 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 09:14 AM
    My son is 3 1/2 and doesn't not talk. Before he had his tubes put in he would babble and make lots of noises. Hwn he was a little over 1 he had to have tubes put in and ever since then the babbling stopped and makes very few noises and only says one word. I have always wondered if it is the tubes. He does understand us and has had his hearing checked and was normal. So I am woundering if we should just take out his tubes and see if he would start talking. His ENT said he is still too small to get his tonsils out which would help his ears and stop having tonsillitis. I don't know what to do. Any helpful info would be great.
    Lorettah91 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
    Quit giving him what he wants or doing what he wants by pointing.. Make him tell u what he wants.. My cousin was also like this until I suggested that to her parents, then she began talking
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2012, 07:44 AM
    My oldest was 4 before he started talking. He just had nothing to say. But he turned out normal and is a very smart young man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 3 year old Son Doesn't Talk [ 8 Answers ]

My son just turned three in January. He is a sweet, lovable, funny, active little boy. All of his developmental milestones have been right on, with the exception of his speech. As I said, he just turned three, and he only has 2 words that are actually "words". His mouth goes non-stop, but it's...

My 3 year old Son Doesn't Talk [ 23 Answers ]

My son just turned three in January. He is a sweet, lovable, funny, active little boy. All of his developmental milestones have been right on, with the exception of his speech. As I said, he just turned three, and he only has 2 words that are actually "words". His mouth goes non-stop, but it's...

My 4-year-old daughter will not talk to me on the phone. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have been separated from my wife since Nov. 15th, 2005. I recently had custody of my daughter from May 25th to October 6, 2006. My daughter will not talk to me on the phone for more than 2 minutes (except on rare occasions) and it is really starting to get to me. I spent 10 days with...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Talk to me! [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my puppy to tell he that he needs to go potty? My scotti is 5 months old now and is pretty good about going potty outside but I think it is me that is trained, not him! I am the one trained on a schedule of taking him out. He'll just go in the house never indicating that he has to go...

View more questions Search