Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    businesswoman92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
    Business Finance - Inventory
    How low should a company let its inventory drop before it places an order? (i.e. How many units should be in the inventory at the time a new order is placed?)
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Feb 24, 2012, 04:43 AM
    The answer is highly situation-specific. A "safety stock" or "base stock" model takes as its inputs such factors as your uncertainty of demand, estimated costs of stockouts, inventory perishability, and your inventory carrying costs. All of these factors are, of course, specific to each individual business.

The calculations for one company might suggest it should try to go no lower than having 7 days' worth of sales on hand, whereas another company might need to hold no less than 25 days' worth of sales, and no more than 40 days.

See here for an example of using a spreadsheet's built-in statistical functions to calculate an Economic Order Quantity (EOQ) model where demand is uncertain.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2012, 04:47 AM
    Since you posted this under Homework Help, I assume this was a homework question and not a real life situation. As your first response indicated, there is no general rule here. It depends on the company, what their consumables are, what their sales are, what their storage space is and other factors.

But since this is a homework question YOU have to provide an answer based on the scenario given for the homework. So, if you want our help let us know the work you have done and we can critique it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finance Fifo and Lifo inventory [ 0 Answers ]

4. At the end of March, Ricardo's Auto Parts had an inventory of 700 units, which cost $18 per unit to produce. During April the company produced 1,000 units at a cost of $22 per unit. If the firm sold 1,200 units in April, what was its cost of goods sold? A. Assume FIFO inventory accounting ...

Cash conversion effect on high finance to reduce inventory [ 0 Answers ]

What effect will the following events have on the cash conversion cycle? a. Higher financing rates induce the firm to reduce its level of inventory. b. The firm obtains a new line of credit that enables it to avoid stretching payables to its suppliers. c. The firm factors its accounts...

Business finance [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have an explanation of the following topics and how they work in an organisation to make it much easier for me to understand please? Trading profit and loss account Balance sheet Trial balance Breakeven Ratio analysis Absorption costion Investment and apraisal Sources of finance I...

Finance- Cash and Inventory Management [ 1 Answers ]

If the lock box saves 2 days in collection float, is it worthwhile to adopt the system?

View more questions Search