Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Big_John Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 06:32 AM
    9 year old car repo debt
    First thing, I got to say I'm new at this. I've never had any problems will this type of thing, so I'm at a loss as to which way to go.

Here's the problem. I applied for a home equity line of credit this past week. I had no issues with my credit and I was approved with no problems. I put my wife's name on the loan too, knowing that she had some "issues" with credit due to her last marriage.

The gentleman I was dealing with told me that while it didn't affect the loan, there was a car repossession reported on my wife's credit with a balance owed of $3200. Come to find out, her ex husband bought a new car in 1996 and it was repossessed in 1998. Her name was on the car loan too. They divorced in 2001 and I married her in 2003.

Here's the kicker... this was just reported in February of 2007! That's nine years after the car was repossessed! She thought the loan had been written off and was behind her. We never saw this on any other credit report before this.

So... what should I do? It sounds like she owes some money. Can we settle it for less money? If we settle it for less, will that affect her credit? Can we go after her ex husband legally for half this debt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 07:57 AM
    You need to find out the details of this ( I would do it though an attorney personally)

Unless they got a judgement on the balance, the statue of limitation should have long ago been past. It sounds like something has happened recently that made this hit the report, It is possible that this debt was sold to a new collection firm that has re-reported it.

I would speak to an attorney before doing anything, it is possible if the SOL has ran out it is as simple as requesting this listing be taken off your credit report.

And who actually owed the debt from the divorce agreement would determine also if you can sue him for 1/2 or all of the settlement if you did settle with them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Hello Big:

While I agree with the Padre, I would first try to get it removed from her credit report. Then who cares about it because they're not coming after her.

Follow the instruction on your credit report. Challenge it based on the rule that it must come off after 7 years of no activity. You might have to do it a few times. I would send my first challenge, certified, return receipt requested.

If you contact the collector you start the 7 year clock again.

excon
    Big_John Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Big:

While I agree with the Padre, I would first try to get it removed from her credit report. Then who cares about it because they're not coming after her.

Follow the instruction on your credit report. Challenge it based on the rule that it must come off after 7 years of no activity. You might have to do it a few times. I would send my first challenge, certified, return receipt requested.

If you contact the collector you start the 7 year clock again.

excon
    Thanks Guys!

Excon... Wow, I was going to call the bank on Monday and see what we needed to do to straighten this out. Looks like I won't be doing that.

Honestly, I don't mind paying her half of the bill if need be. She's worth it and its not going to put me in any bind to write a check. The thing that gets me is they never have gone after her for any money owed previous to us finding it on her credit report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 year old debt [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 41 years old. When I was about 22 in 1986 I bought a car from a dishonest salesman. When I realised my mistake I refused to pay another dime on the payments and purposely allowed the car to be reposessed. This debt was on my credit report for 10 years. After silence for approx 20 years I get a...

3 year ago car repossession [ 2 Answers ]

I voluntarily turned in a car I could no longer afford. So it was repossessed. I stupidly have done nothing about the remaining balance of the loan after the car was auctioned off. So today I was served papers saying Im being sued for the remaining balance of $6200. So I ask you. What rights do I...

They won't repo my car? [ 4 Answers ]

This is a heck of a story. I'll try to be short. An ex-girlfriend and I ran away to Chicago back in 2001. We bought a car from a small local dealer. We used her credit to purchase the car. We broke up and I moved back to Michigan a few months later. I called the dealership and asked if my...

They took my car over an unpaid medical debt [ 5 Answers ]

My son broke his arm shortly after I lost my job and I didn't have insurance. I ended up owing an orthapedic doctor $800.00. They ended up having attorneys call me and harrass me for money. I was currently getting unemployment and didn't have the extra money to pay the bill at that time. They ended...

14 year old debt [ 8 Answers ]

My husbands ex wife opened an account with a jewerly company in 1992. I just got a letter today 2006 that we owe all this money. Can they come back after 14 years and demand money after not asking for anything before? Also shouldn't that be the ex wife's responcibitly cause she openind the account...

View more questions Search