Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xdbworks Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
    I am on H1B VISA, my spouse on F1 VISA for 2011. How to file FICA Exemption?
    How to claim exemption of FICA? Should we file jointly, if we do, how to claim FICA.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 03:01 AM
    Yes, you can file joint return as residents if you are resident. Which return did you and your spouse file in 2010?

Feb 21, 2012, 05:18 AM
    We filed joint in 2010. Then she did not have a job. In 2011.she started work and had wages. The employer has not cut any SSN and Medicare on her pay as they were aware of the FICA exemption rules for F1 students. However when I am filing this time I notice that the online software such as turbo tax and taxact do not consider this FICA exemption rule and they deducted it from the final refund as something I owe. Any ideas on how to file?

Feb 21, 2012, 05:19 AM
    Also, we did file as residents.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
    NEITHER TurboTax nor TaxAct determine FICA tax requirements if you are filing as W-2 employees.

Now, if she is filing under Form 1099-MISC, then they WILL calculate the self-employment tax.

If she IS working under Form 1099-MISC, then the ONLY way to avoid payingthe self-employment tax is for you to file separately, you as a resident (If you were under H-1B for ALL of 2011) and she as a non-resident (filing Form 1040NR and Schedule C).

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

On H1B with H4 dependent spouse - Can I file spouse for exemption? [ 2 Answers ]

HI Guys! I am on H1b Visa and my husband got here in May 2008 as H4 dependent (meaning he can't work and is dependent upon my income) What Tax form should I use? Also I'm confuse with this personal exemption explanation I got from the IRS website: Your Spouse's Exemption

Spouse f2 visa travel to usa while husband change of status from f1 to H1B visa? [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1 Visa and my wife holds valid F2 dependent visa. But now my status changed from F1 to H1B. My question is, Can my wife who is currently in India travel on her valid F2 dependent visa or she is required to get the H4 visa to travel back to USA.

How to file taxes for H1B visa holder and wife on visiting visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I got married on 20th Nov 2010. My wife was in USA for 8 days. Then she went back to UK where she has a job and is paying taxes there. We will be living apart till 2012. Now, 2 questions: 1) Assuming I will be filing taxes married but not jointly, so how should I get my salary in...

F1 (opt) to H1 visa and fica exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi taxexperts, I am non-resident alien. (single) -- started working in march with f1/opt visa. (opt is valid until February 1, 2007) -- applied for h1b visa in July -- h1b was approved in August -- got my stamp in December 1, 2006. -- effective start date for h1b is January 21, 2007.

View more questions Search