Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigergrl9677 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Summons for credit debt
    I received a summons yesterday on a credit debt that I have. Once I received this I called the law firm handiling the claim and talked to them about avoiding court and setting up a payment plan to repay the debt. They agreed and now I am paying so much a month until it is paid off. My question is what now ?Do I still have to appear ? The claim was filed in a separate city that I no longer live in( I live quite a long distance from the city where the clain was filed) Should I have contacted the County Clerk in the county and have explained this to her as well and am waiting on her response.I also have alredy made my first payment. Should I also contact the law firm again and if so what should I ask them?

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Yes you should have first gotten any agreement with them in writing. And you needed to contact the court clerk to be sure that the case was withdrawn. If not, they can appear and still get a judgemnent against you.

So you need to have everything in writing, a statement from law firm that the current judgement is being droped ( withdrawn) and written agreement on the payment of the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil summons concerning credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a civil summons from a credit card, guess they are suing me.I had been working with a company for over a year to help me out with this... so what are my options... I need help quick, sounds like they are getting ready to eat me alive, or that is the way it seems... :eek:

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have credit card debt from four different cards. One is our local credit union (washington state) and I believe they are trying to send me a summons. I was contacted by an ex-partner who said they contacted him with "papers". He said he did not know how to contact me. If they cannot find me...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

Summons received for old credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

My mother who is 75 years old just received a summons from a constable to appear in court for a credit card with National City that she had between 1998 and 2000. She said she never received any bills from them concerning this. The amount due is $2500. The summons also states that she was...

View more questions Search