Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krisguglielmo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Father visitation
    My sons "father" hasent excercised visitation for 6 yrs and now he's in jail so when he gets out it will be 7 yrs h e owes me over 8,000 in support. Can I have his rights revoked? My son is 12 and wants nothing to do with him. His family is threatening making him exercise his visitation rights when he gets out.

Feb 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
    We are from ny
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
    No, merely not visiting or being behind in child support is not enough reason to take away his rights. You can fight to have his visits restricted, you can fight to only allow him to have supervised visits. You may try to force him to get counseling first before he can visit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Please review this sticky note: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

If and when he applies for visitation you can argue that his criminal record and lack of prior visitation is enough to cancel any visitation rights.

However, the issue doesn't appear to be him. You said; " His family is threatening making him exercise his visitation rights when he gets out.". So why not allow his family visits? If you let them spend some time with THEIR relative. They may not push him getting visitation.

Feb 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
    Thanks chuck. His family is just as inconsistent and unfit as him so that won't work. My son doesn't want anything to do with him due to what he remembers at age 5 when he used to visit. When he speaks to the law guardian won't that have a lot of weight his feelings?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
    Yes it should, but the courts will still not do anything until he actually applies for visitation.

Feb 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Thanks scott
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Yes, we all wish we could tell you it could take his rights away, since we all understand that he has never wanted to have contact, and that his criminal prison time is not a good influence on the child.

The fact the child does not want contact is going to be very helpful and what he says in court will be taken into consideration. But if and when he applies for visits, you should get an attorney to represent you in court.

Feb 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Thanks so much for the advice chuck I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preventing father from visitation [ 6 Answers ]

My child is 3 and her father is on drugs and has a 15 year old pregnant his house got drug raided a week ago and he physically and menatlly abused me. He hasn't seen my daughter in over a year and recently I've been getting harassed by his family can I stop him seeing my daughter?

Prevent father from visitation [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Ohio.What are the laws on abandonment here.Like my ex husband has not had anything to do with my son really since he was born,but got less when I left him.I left my ex because he banged my sons head off a floor saying the voices told him to do it.I moved to Pa,to get away from him.He was...

Visitation rights as a father [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 8months baby that lives with the mother right now... there was a problem with me and the baby mother mom... so now she took that against me and I haven't seen my baby since August, I'm worry for my child because of crazy grandmother but I need to know how to get my visitation rights the...

Visitation with father [ 2 Answers ]

I live in North Texas. My ex and I went to mediation this fall he thought that I was in contempt of court and thought I would go to jail. The mediator is a former Texas judge and told him that I would not go to jail and that I was not in contempt. Then we worked out other details but basically...

Visitation to father? Should I? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in North Texas. My ex and I went to mediation this fall he thought that I was in contempt of court and thought I would go to jail. The mediator is a former Texas judge and told him that I would not go to jail and that I was not in contempt. Then we worked out other details but basically...

View more questions Search