Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derbyup3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
    1995 ford f250 7.3 turbo diesel 4x4 automatic
    Well, my truck will start and but doesn't run very good I can have it in park or neutral and it runs good and u can rev it up but when u put it in reverse or drive it will start nocking and won't go past 1000 rmps I can walk faster and if u put it back in park it clears out and runs fine... any suggestions?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2012, 06:42 AM
    . Check for codes.

. Replace the under hood and under frame fuel filters, if they have not been changed in the last 15,000 miles. Purge the system of all water.

. Ensure the oil level is up to the Full Line and that the oil and filter have been changed in the last 5,000 miles.

. Replace the air filter, if it hasn't been changed in 15,000 miles.

. Check injectors.

. Check/replace the Variable Speed Sensor (VSS), which may be located in the differential. A failing VSS can cause all sorts of performance problems. It can trigger the MIL light and ABS lights to come on. It is difficult for many techs to diagnose, especially if they don't live in truck country.

. Test engine compression, oil pressure, and fuel pressure, if the problem persists.

I suspect water in the fuel system, at this point. Common winter problem.
    cassiesinclair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 11:45 AM
    I have a 1995 f 250 powerstroke and when we were pulling a hill with a horse trailer it seemed like it was overheating and then it seemed like it was shifting hard. When we came to a stop it was smoking and appeared to have transmission fluid underneath. We added a bit of transmission fluid and it doesn't do it when you don't have a load.
    [email protected]
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
    cassiesinclair, because of the summer heat in Texas, transmission boilovers are common. On all trucks I service, I drop and clean the pan and magnet, change the filter, drain the torque converter, and refill with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. After that, I have never had a boilover, even when hauling 13 head of cattle to market in 105 degree weather. I also use only full synthetic oil in the engine, differential, and transfer case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford f250 turbo diesel glow plugs how do I test glow plugs? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I test glow plugs?

Erratic Transmission shifting 6.0 litre turbo diesel 2004 Ford F250 [ 3 Answers ]

Has any one experienced any trouble with the transmission on a 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 litre turbo diesel HD edition. The transmission gauge goes dead and the check gauge light on the instrument cluster illuminates. The tow / haul light illuminates and flashes. The check engine light illuminates and...

1995 ford f250 powerstroke diesel running problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Ford F250 Powerstroke diese. When I start it, it runs for less than a minute and then the check engine light comes on and it runs like it is missing. When I give it throtle the oil pressure gague doesn't move at all and neither does the battery voltage gauge. I have had it to a...

2001 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel Mechanical problems [ 3 Answers ]

4X4 problem, seems like a switch or fuse or relay switch. Recent trip and it will not engage.

View more questions Search