Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cemster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Want to divorce - and found out she was divorced from last marriage AFTER we were marri
    OK I am married to a woman for 9 years now we have one child I we have not been "together "for 3+ years now and we want to divorce I found out recently from her ex husband - she was married before - that they were legally divorced 4 years after we were married - we married in 1996 she got a divorce from him in 2000 so she was actually divorced 4 years after we were married - we live in New York - can I use this in my divorce besides the fact she was unfaithful?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
    If that is the case then you were never legally married.
    cemster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose
    If that is the case then you were never legally married.
    So how would I go about disolving any record of our marriage such as I want to remarry another woman lets say do I have to go to a lawyer or sumtn so that I can anull the "marriage" or is it just legally dissolved we have filed taxes together in the past and everything
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Get a copy of her divorce decree, and file a motion with the court where you were married to have it annulled on the grounds she committed fraud and was not able to enter into the marriage.
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Mar 24, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Totally agree with both of the above , you are not legally married if this is the case as she was a bigamist for four years,check out the facts, take them to your lawyer and go from there.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 27, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cemster
    ok i am married to a woman for 9 years now we have one child i we have not been "together "for 3+ years now and we want to divorce i found out recently from her ex husband - she was married b4 - that they were legally divorced 4 years after we were married - we married in 1996 she got a divorce from him in 2000 so she was actually divorced 4 years after we were married - we live in new york - can i use this in my divorce besides the fact she was unfaithful?
    You just saved a lot of money on divorce costs because you are not married.

You still need a lawyer to have the marriage revoked as never having been valid. If you are Catholic, you also have ground for an anulment. (I don't know if other faiths anul marriages or not?)

Get a copy of her original divorce decree from her former spouse or from the county she got divorced in. I'm not a lawyer but read a lot about this stuff and my impression generally is... She committed a crime which will help you in your custody resolution. I cannot imagine she could get spousal maintenance, and you should be able to at least get equal physical custody - in which case you would not pay child support either, as long as you are in a position to have your child half the time or more.

You may be able to get full physical custody, but possibly not (you may have to if she ends up in jail). You could also press charges against her, which I would recommend unless you feel it would be hurtful to your children. It might be a good bargaining chip - hardball, but what the heck - what she did to you is very, very low and deserves to be rectified. I say this as a divorced, custodial mom - I have a probably unfair bias towards moms, but in this case, rock on Dad!
    sublime5373 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
    If she was still married... you still have to file the proper papers and as long as you can prove that she was still married when you all got married you can file of a anulment and it will not cost as much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Name added on deed before marriage - getting divorced [ 2 Answers ]

Right before we were married, my husband added my name onto the deed of his house which he owned for about 13 years before we met (the mortgage was kept in his name only). He started an affair 2 months after we were married that carried on for most of the marriage. I gave him a second chance and...

Is he divorced? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister-in-law filed for divorce from my brother about 2 years ago. My brother never signed any papers or cooporated with her lawyer. Now he decides he wants to marry again. How and where would he go to find out if he is divorced, without having to contact his ex, so he can remarry?

Divorce 2 years after marriage - French citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My French husband and I (I am American) are considering getting a divorce. February 2006 will make 2 years since we got married, we have been living and working in Florida. I never applied for European working papers but am considering moving to Europe at this point. Does anyone know how long...

View more questions Search