Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jess0326 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 04:33 PM
    How do I find out if my child is the Beneficiary of an estate?
    How do I find out if my child is the Beneficiary of an estate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
    What makes you think he might be?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 7, 2012, 06:58 PM
    Contact the clerk of the court in which the probate petition has been filed, and ask for a copy of the petition.

Feb 8, 2012, 04:09 PM
    @ ak lawyer how do I find out if there is a probate petition? @ scottgem my daughter's father passed away and his parents tried to get me to sign over my rights to control anything she is entitled to which makes me believe she has money or property out there that she is the beneficiary of. Thank you both for your answers.

Feb 8, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Ok then you go to the probate court where he died and see if his estate was filed for probate. But the likelihood is it wasn't otherwise the court would have forced notification.

If it wasn't then you will have to file a petition to have his estate probated on your daughter's behalf (assuming she is a minor).

Feb 9, 2012, 01:12 PM
    @ scott she is a minor(2yrs old) and it was his parents that gave me those papers. The papers I was given are for me to renounce myself has my daughters executor which is why I believe there is an estate in her fathers name where she is the beneficiary.

Feb 9, 2012, 04:25 PM
    An executor is someone who oversees the windup of a deceased person's estate. So you can't renounce yourself as your daughter's executor unless she is deceased or unless she has a will naming you executor. You are her legal guardian and can't renounce that.

But the fact still remains that, if there is a will then they have to probate it. If there isn't then your daughter will probably inherit under the state laws of inheritance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate Taxes if Beneficiary is Out of Country [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could help me. If in my will - I make my beneficiary or one of them a relative who lives in Canada What are the tax implications - is it different if I was leaving money to a U.S. CITIZEN (which I am). What about property - or a business - are those tax...

Beneficiary of Estate [ 2 Answers ]

If a person is a beneficiary of a Estate and has not been contact, do legal notices need to be posted to try and find the person? If so, what does one go about find the legal notices?

Minor child beneficiary to military death gratuity [ 6 Answers ]

From Pennsylvania. My 8 yr old sons father was killed in action overseas. His father and I were never married. Due to his death my son becomes beneficiary to the military death gratuity. Two questions: In Pa can a parent (me)be named guardian under the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act? And in regard...

Estate Tax when beneficiary is Non-US citizen [ 3 Answers ]

As a non US citizen with a deceased spouse, how do I find out if the insurance money that I get is taxed through the estate tax? I know that if the amount I receive from the spouse exceeds 2,000,000 then it is subject to a 45% estate tax. Do my spouses different life insurance policies...

View more questions Search