Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbolen1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
    My parakeet is 17 years old, and is lying on bottom of cage-sick.
    2 weeks ago looks like she may have had a stroke? Her neck is tilted to the side? She is having difficulty perching but is eating and drinking still. She is breathing hard at the bottom of her cage. Her diet has had plenty of fruit and birdseed. Not sure the vet could do anything, we thought she would last a few days, now its been over 2 weeks? Afraid to take towel off each a.m. Any suggestions out there? Thank you, Karen
    gbooy777 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Sorry to hear that. They become like family. We bred birds and had them as pets. You are probably correct. Neurological most likely. Do what you can for her as long as you feel comfortable. If you feel she is suffering too much. Maybe euthanasia... at some point in time. Hang in there & maybe Call your vet
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Feb 7, 2012, 06:15 PM
    17 years is a long life for a parakeet and it speaks to the care that you have given, you have done well. But it sounds as if she is now needing your help, sick for 2 weeks and now lying in the bottom of the cage can't be pleasurable for her. Euthanasia is an option that we have to ensure our pets don't suffer and linger needlessly. In your case it may the last kindness that you can provide her.
    StephieMellark Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 12:53 AM
    OH MY GOODNESS, that is quite a long age for a parakeet/budgie. They usually only live to about 6 yrs. But I am sad to say that maybe this is the end of your birds long life.

Congratulations to you for looking after your bird so well! Maybe you should say your last goodbyes and put the bird down because its unfair for it to suffer for longer than 2 weeks...

I wish it could live longer for both of your benefits,

APOLOGIES,

STEPH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my pionus maximill parrot tear up the news paper on the bottom of its cage? [ 0 Answers ]

Why does my pionus maximillion parrot tear up the news paper on the bottom of its cage?

GE Electric Washer about 10 years old spins and washes slow. Also leaking at bottom. [ 0 Answers ]

GE Electric Washer about 10 years old spins and washes slow. Also, leaking at bottom.

While cage training a puppy is it cruel to not put food and water in his cage. [ 4 Answers ]

While cage training a puppy, is it cruel not to put food and water in the cage with him while you are gone for about 8 hrs a day to prevent him from peeing and pooping in his cage?

Amana bottom freezer FS 20 12 years old [ 4 Answers ]

Compressor runs constantly, only shuts off 3 times a day when temp reaches -4. Goes on in a half hour or so when at +14 so ice cream gets soft. Is this normal, or is there a simple explanation.

Why my goldfish kept on lying on the bottom of the aqurium? The other fish swims? [ 14 Answers ]

I bought my 2 goldfish in October 2007, but why one moves and now the other lie at the bottom? I hope is not in danger! It have a 1 black spot at the breahting place well only a tiny one and 2 on the body I know is not icks it couldn't be. I never saw a fish with icks before but the appearance...

View more questions Search