Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robb138 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 10:55 PM
    I got a married woman pregnant.
    There is no question the child is mine. Is there anything I can do pre birth to ensure my parental rights, as well as the baby having my last name on the birth certificate.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
    Your general location is important as there are some areas with putative father registries and others with none. If you can provide the experts with your location you will get more appropriate advice.

Feb 3, 2012, 11:31 PM
    The child was conceived in Texas, but will be born in N. Carolina.

Feb 3, 2012, 11:47 PM
    This was not a "fling" There is a 20 year history between us. Unfortunately she is a documented victim of domestic violence, and like too many others has chose to return. I can't protect her but I must protect our baby girl.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 4, 2012, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb138 View Post
    .... Is there anything I can do pre birth to ensure my parental rights, ...
    A Putative Father Registry, if available in N.C. (see the sticky at the top of the Family Law Forum), would be for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robb138 View Post
    ... Is there anything I can do ... as well as the baby having my last name on the birth certificate.
    Check with the N.C. vital statistics office about the procedure to sign an affidavit of paternity, after the birth, to get your name on the BC. I doubt this is possible because of the presumption that a child born to a wife is the child of her husband, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2012, 05:53 AM
    Since she is married, the law presumes her husband to be the father. That means you will have to mount a court challenge to the paternity.

I would suggest contacting an attorney to guide you through this, especially if you want to file anything pre-birth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A married woman had an affair with another married man and got pregnant [ 28 Answers ]

If a person is married and she has an affair with a married man and she get pregnant and refuse to put the married man she had an affair with on child support can she take out an abondonment warrant out on him."

I got a married woman pregnant, what last name will it take [ 7 Answers ]

I recently had an affair with a married woman and after trying for a month to make it work with her husband, he filed for divorce and she and I got together. Shortly after that, she became pregnant with me, and at the 12 week stage of pregnancy, she decided she would go back to her husband for one...

View more questions Search