Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Huck Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Can you actually bury IC rated recessed lighting in blown insulation?
    My Lithonia Lighting L7X IC rated recessed housings spec sheet says approved for direct burial in insulation. OK, I can read, but do you guys really believe I can bury them in over a foot of blown flame retardant cellulose or blown fiberglass?

If not a fire hazard, do you think the lights will overheat internally and shut off with there internal thermostat?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2007, 01:39 AM
    Yes IC rated recess fixtures can be buried with insulation. The important thing to remember is to only use the lamps the recess fixture is rated for. This will prevent the internal thermal cutout from detecting overheating and shut off the lamp.

A common mistake is using a lamp of a higher wattage rating or using the wrong type of lamp. If a recess fixture is only rated for R lamps, reflector style, then A lamps, standard household lamps, cannot be used.

The label inside each recess fixture will list the lamps and trims the fixtures is rated for. Even using the wrong trim can cause problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting on Dimmers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit dedicated for 16 6" Halo IC recessed lights in my basement. To control these recessed lights, I installed one 3 way dimmer that controls 8 of the recessed light and the other 8 recessed lights are controlled by a regular single switch dimmer. Currently both dimmers work...

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Suspended Ceiling / Recessed lighting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a "problem" suspended ceiling. I bought a house almost a year ago, and I knew that at some point the suspended ceiling in the basement would become a frustratiion. The finished room is about 10x21 feet. It is a USG ceiling with 2x4 USG ceiling tiles. The issue is that the ceiling is hung...

Recessed lighting for playroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 11X14 bedroom which I am converting into a playroom. I want to install 6 inch recessed cans. I would like to know how I should layout this room using either six or eight cans. Any help and/or suggestions is appreciated.

View more questions Search