Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annecunningham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 01:21 PM
    I have a 3 yr old mini schnauzer that eats poop and also will poop/pee in the house
    He seems to get too distracted outside by birds, squirels, and or whatever else. How can I work on these annoying traits, otherwise he's a wonderful temperament dog.
    mamaof2boys Posts: 220, Reputation: 25

Feb 3, 2012, 01:49 PM
    As far as the eating poop you can get Forbid from your vet, sprinkle on food and it will keep him from eating his stool. Have you tried walking him on a leash outside? That may help him be less distracted. Has anything changed in your house that could cause this to be a behavioral problem?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 6, 2012, 04:14 PM
    There are several types of stool eating deterrents that you can buy over the counter, perhaps even from walmart.

When you take your dog out to potty do you bring him in as soon as he's gone? Some dogs will learn that using the bathroom means the end of fun outside time and will intentionally hold it for longer. Have you tried walking him some before and after?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 7, 2012, 07:16 AM
    The cheapest and most effective way to deter poop eating is by sprinkling meat tenderizer on their food. There are many reasons your dog will eat poop, mainly because of lack of nutrition from he dog food you are feeding. What brands of food are you using now? Is your dog up to date with flea and worm treatments?

Have you considered obediedience training with your dog? It's a great way to bond and establish yourself as alpha, and controlling those "annoying" habits of not paying attention to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can changes make a trained dog poop and pee in the house [ 4 Answers ]

My six year old male dog has started pooping and peeing in the house this week. My daughter moved out on Monday and he has not acted the same since. He is at home Alone more now, but I come home during the day and take him out. We have also experience some serve weather when he has been here by...

Poop and pee in house after I leave [ 10 Answers ]

My 5 yr. old lab was great about pooping and peeing outside. But now that I go to work she is always doing it in the house. I walk her all the time before I go out and I also run her in the yard, but she waits until I go. What do I do.

How to teach 4 yr. Old dog not to pee and poop in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my German Shepard dog since she was 8 weeks old. I would say that my dog is very well potty trained, if I am at home. But once I leave the house, she finds different places to pee and poop. It's never just one or the other. She doesn't pee and poop in one place. She pees in one room...

My 4 year old dog still will pee or poop in the house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Jack Russell / Rat Terrier mix. She is sweet as she can be, but she still poops and pees in the house. We house trained her when she was a pup, and she does use the bathroom outside. However, she will go out sometimes and then come in the house and go poop in a room. She...

My red long haired mini daschund eats her poop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My almost 8 month mini eats her poop. I have tried Fobid & meat tenderizer and they have not seems to work. My vet told me not to worry about parasites since she is on heartworm preventative. I try to monitor her bowel habits by taking her out on the leash that helps because I can pick it...

View more questions Search