Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceomat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Breaker Box Amps rating & Number of breakers installed
    I have a question in regards to amps allowed in a breaker box. My breaker box has a label stating that the box has a maximum load of 200 amps, but that it is convertible. I really don't know what the convertible part means. If I look at the breakers installed, these add way more than 200 amps.

These are the breakers that I have installed in the box: Five tandem breakers for 15 amps each (so 5 * 2 15 amps breakers = 150 amps), 4 tandem breakers for 20 amps each (so 4 * 2 20 amps breakers = 160 amps), 1 double pole of 50 amps each (so 1 * 2 50 amps breakers = 100 amps), 1 double pole of 40 amps each (so 1 * 2 40 amps breakers = 80 amps), and 1 double pole of 30 amps each (so 1 * 2 30 amps breakers = 60 amps). If I add them up I come up with 550 amps breakers installed! :eek:

Now these are only installed, but I guess not all the breakers are used to their maximum capacity all at once (example, extra plugs not being used, not all lights on, electric stove, washer and dryer not being used at once, etc).

Now this being said, my question is: Has the number of breakers installed in the box exceeded the box capacity or am I adding the breakers' amps wrong by going with the maximum capacity for each breaker rather than the actual amount of amps being used at once?

Thank you for your advice.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2007, 02:25 AM
    The size of a service main is calculated by the connected load as per Article 220 and illustrated by the Examples shown in Annex D of the National Electric Code.

The link to and instructions how to naviagte to the NEC is shown in the Sticky
    Note
    of the this electrcial forum.

Adding the rating of branch circuit breakers is irrelevant, means nothing. And a 2 pole breaker is never added or doubled, a 2 pole 30 amp breaker is only a 30 amp 240 volt circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Can I run 400 amps with two 200 amp boxes? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to run 400 amp service in my new home and I was wondering if it is possible to run two separate 200 amp boxes instead of 1 400 amp with is much more expensive. If so do I need a main 400 amp lug or can I use the two separate 200 amp mains?

Adding Breakers to Existing Box [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement in a large 8 year old home. We've added about 1500 sq feet in the basement and 5-6 new circuits. The breaker box, and a sub panel are full, with several mini breakers. We've been told that as part of the final electrical inspection a "load analysis" will be done....

Help with a Breaker Box [ 12 Answers ]

Hey guys I need some help and found this forum. I want to thank you in advance for any replies. I have the main power wire that comes into the Garage; it has a black-white-and bare wire. The black and white both have 120 going through them. That is then hooked to a 60amp Breaker. Then wire is...

Installation of 50 amp breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a 50 amp breaker box (exterior garage wall) in order to plug in our RV. I like to do things myself, but am apprehensive about undertaking this project. My main area of concern is wiring into the existing main box, which I believe is 200 amps at the main breaker. Any...

View more questions Search