Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WanDj Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2012, 07:23 AM
    My dog doesn't seem to sleep much.
    My golden retriever mix always pace around outside and bark at passers-by or visitors.basically she barks at almost everything (this is quite an issue). Other than that, she would sometimes sit around just relaxing,looking around but very alert. I hardly see her sleep for more than a few minutes. Even at night, I can hear her bark at the security guard patroling the neighbourhood. Is it healthy for her to be up most of the time and just have dog naps here and there?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 31, 2012, 07:35 AM
    He sounds still young. Dogs sleep with one ear listening until they are quite old. I don't know why you leave him out at night? Of course he feels vigilant; that's what dogs do. He's protecting you, for one thing. Bring him in at night.
    If he's pacing, I suspect you aren't taking him for walks and for play in parks with other dogs or just a Frisbee or ball in the back yard. He needs tons of exercise.
    Barking is a training problem. I am the last one to tell you how to train a dog to stop barking, because although good at other aspects of training, I've never taught either of my dogs to stop. They know NO of course, and try to muffle their barks, but they don't stop on command. It may require a muzzle.
    WanDj Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Our dog don't live with us inside the house. She stays outside but we live in Malaysia where all the houses have walls and gates and fences around the yard. My dog has a doggie crib and a dog house but she prefers the grass or the driveway. In fact, she's always sleeping right in front our door or at the patio where she eats and drinks (also where her crib is). She is about a little over a year old. She does understand NO but it only stops her at that moment, and starts again afterwards. I don't feel like resticting my dog with a muzzle. Id feel bad for her.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 31, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Some barking is 'announcing' arrival of someone. You can tell the difference. When she barks, go out and say one sharp NO and then pat her. I have a feeling that in your area people don't spend much time with their dogs, playing or going anywhere, or training. Training is a TON of work. So you are going to have to put up with this. Hope the neighbors don't get mad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't go to sleep? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog sits by my door wanting out but I'm to tired to get up and I can't wake up my parents!! How can I get her to go to sleep. she's only 4 months old

My dog won't sleep [ 0 Answers ]

I have had my english bulldog since the end of September of 09. He was on a great schedule until I went out of town and left him for 4 days with my brother-n-law. When we came home and later that night Ozzy was up every 2 hours. And since then he is up every 11/2 to 2 hours every night for almost...

Does my dog sleep too much? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am wondering what the normal amount of sleep for a 9-month old Staffordshire Terrier is. She usually sleeps 12-15 hours a day, and it's starting to worry me at this point. She eats and potties normally. And acts normally, she's incredibly sweet and cuddly.

My dog won't let me sleep! [ 14 Answers ]

I need help! Ive had my dog for almost a year now. She's almost 2 years old and for the past 2 months EVERY night between 2am and 5am she whines for me to take her out. Sometimes I try and just ignore it so I don't keep giving in to it but the whining does not stop unless I take her out. So I give...

Any way to get a dog to sleep in? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog ALWAYS wakes me up at exactly 7am EVERY morning. I don't even have to set an alarm. Well... today started daylight savings time. Which means she wakes me up at 6am. Its also very annoying on the rare day I get to sleep in. Any ideas about how to get her to sleep later?

View more questions Search