Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feenstrap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Ltd reimbursement with ssdi lump sum post tax payment?
    My husband was receiving LTD benefits through his employer for 3 years and just was awarded SSDI and just received a lump sum payment on December 31st for those 3 years. I understand that the LTD will be requesting an "overpayment", which is fine and I understand. However, my question is this... I just realized that the lump sum payment from SSDI was not taxed. It was a total of 42,658.00, which was after the 6000.00 paid to the attorney. The LTD carrier is asking for the total, 42,658.00. What about the taxes that need to be paid on that money? Let's just say that based on that 42,658.00, when we go to file our Federal Income taxes for 2011, We find that we owe the IRS 6000.00 in taxes. Am I legally able to deduct that 6000.00 owed for taxes out of the 42,658.00 and only reimburse the LTD THAT balance of 36,658.00?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
    You need to contact the long-term disability company to work this out with them. The issues of taxes and reimbursement for the legal fees are all matters to be discussed. If they are not cooperative, then use the lawyer who represented you before the Social Security Administartion to help with the negotiations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can sallie mae garnish back pay lump sum from SSDI for defaulted student loan? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just found out that my ssdi was approved. I haven't even received my award letter yet. I have a defaulted student loan and I'm aware they can garnish my monthly check (once I start receiving it.) I'm going to apply to have my student loan discharged for total and permanent disability but it...

Will child support take some or all of my lump sum SSi payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I just got accepted for Supplemental security income here in Washington State and I went to the appointment and they said I was going to get a back pay check at some point. I owe a lot of back child support (I was 15, the mother was 14 and when I didn't want to be her boyfriend she filed for child...

SSDI lump sum pmt paid to insurance company [ 7 Answers ]

HI, I received a lump sum social security payment for back pay for years 2004 through 2007. I had to pay the lump sum to my insurance company since they paid me for those years already. My question is when I fill out taxes, I can claim a credit for the tax in those years since the repayment...

Lump-Sum Settlement Payment - check distribution for tax purposes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the process of receiving a settlement payment in the amount of 27,000 from a hr settlement cases (just been laid off). The defendant, my former employer is giving my attorney this upcoming week three (3) checks, 9,000 a piece. The 1st and 2nd check for 9000 is written out solely to me ,...

View more questions Search