Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
    Stray rabbit, need suggestions asap!
    Hey guys!
    A couple months ago I noticed a little bunny running around the neighborhood, I didn't really think anything of it (I just assumed it was someone's pet who managed to escape and would show up at home sooner or later). Well the poor bunny is still on his/her own and I feel terrible! It was -43 here the other night and I was worried the cold got to the little thing but noticed his/her tracks again this morning. I really don't know what to do? If I leave food out will he/she find it and if I leave veggies out will he/she still eat them if there frozen (or be able to smell them for that matter)? And suggestion on trapping it (Alive of course!)?Im just kind of stuck.. Ive dealt with stray cats before but I'm going to assume rabbits are different. He (Lets just assume it's a boy :) ) is quiet small and very cute, but he hasn't let me get close to him (10 feet is the closest I've been able to get to him)... I haven't actually seen him in quiet awhile so I'm not sure what condition he's in, but there's tracks almost every morning and my mom said she seen him running around about 2 weeks ago... any suggestions??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Is it a pet rabbit or is it merely a wild rabbit living in your area. We have rabbits, squirrel, chipmonks and more all running around.

And while some -40 record lows in your area, but I bet right now, those are "wind chill" temp, for what it feels like right now, But still those -10 and -20 in your area right now is cold. But if a wild animal, most know how to handle this
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Nope, its definantly a pet. He's orange and white and he didn't change colors with the season (Saw him the first time back in august)... all the wild ones I've seen are brown, white, or grey (or a little mix).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
    Talk to your local animal rescue. They should be able to put out traps and catch him.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Emily, rabbits don't change color, only hares do. Just because it's colored doesn't mean it's not wild.

Rabbits and hares are very different. Hares live above ground, they don't live in a group, and where I live they're what you'll see in the wild. They're larger than rabbits, have bigger ears and feet, and they change color in the winter and spring.

Rabbits live in warrens (in a group below ground). They're smaller than hares, and they don't change color in the winter. Wild rabbits are just as wild as hares.

Don't assume that this is a pet. If he survived the cold snap then it's likely that he has a family (a warren), and he's a wild animal.

I know you want to help, but what we humans do to wild animals isn't always helpful. Please, let him be the wild animal that he is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stray cats [ 3 Answers ]

We recently found 5 kittens under our house we caught them but released them scared that they were too young to be without the mother now we caught the mother an can not find the kittens we believe they are in the installation under our house but cannot see them my question is there any way to get...

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Stray cats [ 37 Answers ]

I'm asking this question on behalf of my mother. They have a patch of bush next to their house and a few weeks ago someone dumped a pregnant cat there. We couldn't get anywhere near the cat to catch it so we called the RSPCA and they said that we had to hire a cat trap for $50 to catch it... we...

Why do men stray? [ 16 Answers ]

Why do mwn tend to get bored after a period? What is it gentlemen? What can we do to keep u intrigued?

Do you think my friend is pregnant! Suggestions ASAP! [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is desperate to have a baby. She was married for couple of months and this is the first time that her period is late and she believs that she's pregnant. Her cycle is the 10th of evry month and she hadn't gotten it yet so could she be pregnant?? HELP:

View more questions Search