Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Breattie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
    When employees disrespect manager?
    A member of my retail sales team asked to have her schedule changed so that she no longer works weekends. I hired her 5 years ago specifically to work on Saturdays and promoted her to weekend manager. At my request,she also received a larger pay increase than anyone else in the company. When she requested the move to weekdays, I tried to make this change for her because she is a single mother with a daughter home on Saturdays, and she has been a hard working employee. However, my manager refused the request, given my employee's higher weekend manager's pay. When I told the employee, she blew up at me, told me she was head and shoulders better than anyone else, she was doing all the work, and she should be getting paid closer to what I made. Then she stormed out of the interview, even though I asked her to stay and discuss it further. She went directly to my manager to make her case, but of course got nowhere. How should I handle this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
    How badly do you need her?

Sometimes the more people get the more they think they deserve.

I would tell her what you've told "us." I would also remind her that it's employment at will (assuming there's no contract or union) and she can be let go at any time for any reason or no reason.

I would tell her this is warning #1.

I would also draw a line between friend and employee in the event she has received special consideration in the past. Make her happy and you'll make everyone else UNhappy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
    See if your manager will allow her to take days, if she takes reduced pay and loses manager title.

I would let it go for now, but if she keeps having trouble, you will have to deal with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

How should a manager of a company with his employees [ 2 Answers ]

How should a manager of a company with his employees

How to deal with disrespect. [ 3 Answers ]

So, I just move into this house with my husband 19 month old son. My best friend calls me after living here for 2 weeks and says her mom is kicking her out and has no where else to go. Along with this immature guy that is mooching off her and everyone around him. And now they have been living in my...

Husband allows others to disrespect me [ 5 Answers ]

I have been married for almost 15 years. In last the 2 to 3 yrs my husband has started being verbal abusive. But, to make along story short he allows his friends and family to say real hateful comments to me and has actually gone along with them . Then later will blame me for it and does not...

View more questions Search