Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thejoho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2004, 01:09 PM
    Abrreg.exe - PC slowing down
    Hello, I hope someone can help me with this little bugger.

I have been having several problems with my PC slowing down a great deal lately. I have done various things such as deleted processes which seemed to be gobbling memory such as kbdvd.exe and removed the indexing files cidaemon.exe/cisvc.exe which seems to have helped a little but now I am stuck with another problematic process which seems to eat up all my memory, namely abrreg.exe which is located in C:\windows\Prefetch. I have no idea what this does but regularly eats approx 300mb memory and is always in my process list.

I have tried deleting this from my folder but it doesn't remove it from the current process list. I have tried deleting it then removing it from my current processes but it again comes back. When it is removed there is a substantial drop in the CPU & PF Usage indicating to me that it is a very good thing to remove it. But it doesn't stay removed for long.

I have tried searching for abrreg and abrreg.exe on various search engines but it has come back with absolutely nothing, which has really surprised me. What the hell is this thing?

If anyone has any ideas on how to help removed abrreg.exe or remove these things generally, they would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

John
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 19, 2004, 03:54 PM
    I don't know either what this abrreg.exe does, but what I *do* know is that you safely can delete all files that are in C:\windows\Prefetch\.
    It is even recommended to do this at least once a month.
    Note that this abrreg.exe probably is also elswhere on your C: disk.
    You can search for it, and delete all occurrences - keep one in your recycle bin though - you never know that you need it.
    Did you run virus, spyware and adware checkers?
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Nov 23, 2004, 07:39 PM
    Sypware Removal
    One tip I always give is to check your computer for Spyware and Malware. My favorite program for doing this is Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com but lots of people use other programs. If you have processes running that are suspicious you should look them up in Google. That will generally tell you if they are nasties or not. If you really want to remove abrreg.exe and can't find another way to do it you could use Killbox. This program can stop processes then delete them. It is very useful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slowing down an electric motor [ 13 Answers ]

I have an electric motor that rotates at 1750 rpm and I would like to slow it to maybe 100n rpm. Is that possible with out gearing?I am looking for an affordable solution. Thank you. Paul

What is slowing down my computer? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm running a 3.0GHz EMT64 CPU, 1GIG of dual-channel memory, Windows 2000Pro (hyperthreading turned off) and a 64-bit capable motherboard of course. When I close or a window such as IE, I can't reopen it from the taskbar although I can still see it open down there. After about 15 seconds, it goes...

Abrdrv.exe slowing down my PC [ 2 Answers ]

My PC runs XP and frequently has a huge chunk of it's CPU being sucked up by a process named abrdrv.exe I can't find any references to this on the web. Does anyone know what it does? Can I get rid of it?

View more questions Search