Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grinner Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Filling holes in hardwood floor
    I'm patching the areas where old floor heater vents used to be.

1) Any good tips for getting tongue & groove boards into the gaps between existing boards that I haven't chiselled out?

2) Should I stain the new unfinished boards before or after putting them in the patch?

3) Should I put paper below the new boards (there is old paper in the existing floor between the subfloor and the hardwood floor, I presume as an extra insulator)

4) Do I need a special floor nailgun or will any gun suffice?

5) What type of nail should I use for best results? FYI - My boards are 2 inch by .5 inch t&g white oak.

Thanks for any help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 08:45 AM
    You are going to need to rim off the tongue on the new piece. Trim the piece for the best possible fit. Put some rosen paper down, it stops squeaks, not insulation. Pilot drill holes for 2 1/2 in. finishing nails and drive by hand, don't use a gun for patching. Set the nail heads fill holes and cracks with wood filler. Stain to match once the piece is in place. You might start the staining process by testing various stains and blends on scrape pieces.
    Grinner Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Great, answers all my questions. Thanks very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glue on hardwood floor [ 5 Answers ]

Just ripped up the carpet and found maple hardwood floors underneath, on one part there is a stretch where it was glued. Does anyone the best producted to use to remove it? Or is sanding my only option? Thanks.

Installing toilet over new hardwood floors - flange is now below floor level [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a bathroom and replaced carpet floors with hardwood. This now puts the toilet flange below the floor level. Is there a thicker or additional flange to bring the connection (with the toilet) level up 1/2 to 3/4 inches?

Holes in floor joists [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We are adding a new addition to our current home. The plumber is putting in the plumbing and he has hacked away about 4 inches from our new floor joices. We are now concerned about the structure and the integrity of that. Its for a new bathroom with a toilet and a biddet and all floor tile....

Moved in a few months ago, Hardwood Floor Gaps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I moved into a townhome style condo a few months ago. It came with hardwood floors. I really know nothing about hardwood floors so I can't really tell you much about it. I know its very thin Oak. My problem has been over the winter here. In couple of spots around the house: I have noticed...

Leak from second floor bath tub while filling. [ 1 Answers ]

We are experiencing a leak from the second floor bathtub, but only while the water is running. I have replaced the drain in the tub and filled the tub with water. No leak. But when we start to fill the tub after a minute it starts a steady drip, drip, drip, which has saturated the ceiling...

View more questions Search