Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imp69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
    I need to have a liver function test to get my license back.
    Hi.I'm 6 foot tall,weigh 80 kgs and usually drink fairly heavily.I've been sobour for a week and have been drinking a lot of water.could you please tell me how long I need to wait for my body to deliver a clean test.thank you.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
    How is the liver function test related to driving? Are they checking for alcohol or drug use?

Not questioning what you were told, as there are some blood tests that can detect long term alcohol use such as GGT, PEth, etc. If that's the case water would be of no benefit. Usually not classed as liver function tests although related to same.

Also if you could provide your country of residence.
    imp69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 08:12 PM
    Hello Dr Bill100.yes they are checking for alcohol use.I was caught with a blood alcohol level of .065 and need a fitness to drive certificate to reapply for my licence.my country of residence is Australia.Perth W.A.I was wondering what,if anything,I could do to clense my system of toxins.Thank you
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by imp69 View Post
    Hello Dr Bill100.yes they are checking for alcohol use.I was caught with a blood alcohol level of .065 and need a fitness to drive certificate to reapply for my licence.my country of residence is Australia.Perth W.A.I was wondering what,if anything,i could do to clense my system of toxins.Thank you
    I have only passing acquaintance with liver function tests as are utilized in Australia and Germany, I believe.

This type of test checks blood for liver enzymes. Some are short term (MCV) and some longer (PEth). These enzymes are not to be confused with short- and mid-term liver metabolites that can be diluted via consuming water or diuretics.

Furthermore, most (but not all) are present only after heavy and or regular consumption of alcohol.

In the past 30 days have you drank, and if so, how much? Perhaps we can determine an appropriate waiting period. In the meantime I will see exactly what the liver function survey entails.

ADDED: I overlooked that you said you had been sober for a week.

Also can you provide me with the name of the agency that tests. I turned one called DVLA (whatever that means) which seems to be a branch of the National Health Service (NHS)/which lists some of the categories and levels. This is needed to determine exactly what is checked for in the tests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How long I should abstain from smoking before a liver function test [ 0 Answers ]

Can you tell me how long I should abstain from smoking cigarettes before taking a liver function test so it will not interfere with the enzyme levels?

Liver function count very high [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is an alcoholic, although she doesn't admit to it. Doctor sent her for a liver function test. Test showed a count of 1 075. Is this very high? What is a normal liver count? What are the dangers involved?

No license waiting for blood test [ 1 Answers ]

What if I'm going to court for a dui and they have not got my blood test so they gave me a later date and my public defender pleaded not guilty and I have to go back in a month. So on total I have to wait more than 2 months to find out my blood test. My question is how long do I have to wait for...

What enzyme produced by liver does alcohol ua test for? [ 3 Answers ]

What enzyme does alcohol ua test for and can you take something to couter act it?

What is the similarities between a pig liver and a human liver? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the similarities between a pig liver and a human liver?

View more questions Search