Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tg390320 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Medical bills
    I need to know if my ex husband can make me pay for old medical bills on my kids if he has custody of them and has had them for 8 years? He is trying to make me pay for them I am paying my child support and he is sking for more. Also the kids are 18 and15 and would love to move in with me since he is getting a divorce and they are staying with there exstepmom right now what do we need to do? Also there father is living with another woman on top of all of this
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
    What does the Court Order say about child support? If it does NOT address medical bills he can't "suddenly" attempt to hold you responsible for them. He CAN attempt to get you to help pay for ongoing medical bills.

If you want custody of the children - and I don't know where you are - your 18 year old MIGHT be emancipated and can wherever he/she wants. You would have to file for custody of the 15 year old.

Have you tried to get custody during the past eight years?

The father living with another woman is legally immaterial. The children living with an ex-stepmother MIGHT be helpful to your position in this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
    In many jurisdictions when there is a question of medical bills then the bill has to be passed along within a reasonable amount of time. Then it is usually 50/50.

Most have some sort of time limit for submission to the other party. So even if he does try to collect he may not get what he thinks. It is usually not retroactive.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Who pays for medical bills and who pays for the health insurance for the kids is to be decided in the child custody agreement.

It is very common for the non custodial parent to pay for health insurance or at least pay for 1/2 of the children's medical bills not covered by insurance.

So yes he may go to court for this if the court order does not say it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
    I cannot address other States but NY does NOT order medical bills retroactively. It WILL on occasion order support as of the date the papers were filed, not the date of the hearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical bills [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my husband was hospitalized and I had out patient surgery. We have good insurance, but between the 2 of us, we have 9 different balances/co-pays coming in to pay in 30 days. We are not able to do this and are currently in bankruptcy. I want to send what I can each month to each...

Medical Bills [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 54 year old disabled person. I am currently receiving Social Security Disability and have Medicare A (B?) and D. It is the part not covered by Medicare that is killing me, I am now over $1400.00 in debt . There is no way I can ever pay even a little of this as , just to pay rent, food, gas,...

Medical bills [ 15 Answers ]

About a week ago my son was injured when a horseshoe hit him in the nose. He was standing slightly behind me, more on the side of me. We were standing about five feet form the peg in the ground, on the receiving end. His grandfather was the throwee and it richoted off the peg and around me and...

Medical bills [ 4 Answers ]

Can A Collection Agency Sue Me For Medical Bills If It Is Already On My Credit Report?

View more questions Search