Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex0830 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Selective Policy Procedures Enforcement Police Agency
    I wanted to get info.

I am an ex tx law enforcement officer in tx. I am 27 years old with 2 kids. I was terminated on August 2011 for leaving early and a compilation of other write up in a 4 year span. The reason I was leaving 25-30 min early was because we had district coverage and because a while back a sergeant said it was OK to leave 20-30 min early anything after that had to be clear by him. Another deputy 1 yr previous received a write up for leaving an hour early that's when the sergeant made the statement of leaving early. Well long story short the captain never liked me and selectively enforced policy and procedure only to me, there were other deputies within the whole department leaving at about the same time and sgts approving a certain deputy to leave hours early to work side jobs but he only enforced policy on me as with the other write ups which should have not been there.

Write ups:
    Dispatched to a criminal mischief. Complainant refused to file report on her ex boyfriend due to him being violent. Hours later ex boyfriend committed a shooting. Complaiant was no where near the place where the criminal mischief occur and refused after being asked several times to file a report. Was reprimanded for not filing report.

2. Write up for leaving district to eat and meet family friend. Other officers were well known to leave the entire county for a long time.

3. Wrote up for having facial hair. Policy never enforced across the dpt.

What can I do all these write ups were compiled in an attempt to get me fired due to me having an episode of anxiety. These write ups should have never been filed. What can I do? This dpt blackballs me with other dpt as for me to never be employed again. I want my job back I was good at it..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
    It's quite possible that the agency you worked for has policies which allow employees to be terminated only under certain conditions. You should contact an attorney, preferably one who has some particular experience or knowledge of employment law to determine whether the department properly terminated you. It's next to impossible to know in general.

Jan 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
    They don't have written procedures for aggregation of disciplinary actions. In their standard operationg procedure manual's General Orders it states discipline up to or including termination for anything. One of the General Orders states Member of this Police Agency will always have the right to have their grievances heard . I submitted the grievance through my chain of command but the chief told my attorney he was not going to hear my grievance and was not interested in giving me my position bak
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
    The one on not doing a report, of course you always do a report, even if the report says the person calling to complain would not file a report, you do a report on any call. At least that was our department.

And sorry if there are rules and others are breaking them, it is not an excuse to break them. Leaving early, and other issues, may not have lead up to termination, but again, there were written policy and you broke policies you knew were in place. An excuse other officers were doing it, is pure bull. Sorry but a professional officer knows better.

Even if you win a law suit, you will never get a job, since your law suit admits you were sloppy doing your job, just says some others were also sloppy and not fired.

If you can show other officers were doing this, and show that supervisers new about it. So what SGT and what OFFICERS are going to take the stand and testify for you?

Jan 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
    To Fr Chuck,

Well the problem is that officers, supervisor would leave a few minutes early due to paper work being finished, no calls pending, and district coverage by the next shift was already out patrolling. If they are going to enfore those rules they have to enforce them across the board. In Texas there is a defense for criminal activity called Selective Enforcement which is not right. These sames Sgts had romantic flings on dty with their own employees and allowed these same employees to leave hours early to go work side jobs together leaving the district patrolmen stuck out without adequate coverage unlike my situation..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Hire an Attorney, PROVE discrimination or unfair practices and sue!

The "proof" is the hard part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Child Support Enforcement agency garnish 100 percent of my wages? [ 4 Answers ]

Can a Child Support Enforcement agency effectively garnish 100 percent of my wages by putting a lien on the account where my check is direct deposited? They already collect 60 percent and now that they've captured my direct deposit, I feel they've gone over the line. Why would I continue to work...

Selective service status [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out about my selective service status

99 Ford taurus selective starting [ 2 Answers ]

My ford taurus will only start if I've been driving it for a while. It has no problem turning over once it begins but when I go to start it I usually have to turn the key several times before it will have any reaction. I don't think the starter is going because when it tries to start there's no...

Mr. Selective found it.now what? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey Folks, I met a girl last week, instant connection. I'm a pretty selective guy, and I have seen many sides of dating so I can understand what I'm looking for in a peer. Anyhow, we met during the week and then again on Friday even when I had made an official date for Saturday. So basically we...

View more questions Search