Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dondon59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Living in PA, working in NJ?
    I live in PA and work in Jersey. Why is tax being taken out for the township I live in? This is the first year this has been done.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
    If you work (or work and live) in two different states, you will file tax return in both the states. One state is your tax home. In the state that is not your tax home (that is Jersey), report income you earned while in that state.

In the state that is your tax home (that is PA), report your worldwide income for full year. Also in this state claim credit for the taxes paid to the other state. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 09:25 AM
    For the township tax, most local taxes are assessed against those who LIVE in the locality, though some taxes can be assessed against those who work there as well.

Apparently, your township taxes its residents, not its workers.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    If you work (or work and live) in two different states, you will file tax return in both the states. One state is your tax home. In the state that is not your tax home (that is Jersey), report income you earned while in that state.

In the state that is your tax home (that is PA), report your worldwide income for full year. Also in this state claim credit for the taxes paid to the other state. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    This is not quite right for the situation of someone who lives in PA and works in NJ. The states have reciprocal agreements that allow PA resident to have PA income tax withheld even though they work in NJ. This allows the worker to file only in PA and not have to file in NJ. To make this work you have to submit form NJ-165 to your NJ-based employer. See:

NJ Division of Taxation - Income Tax - PA/NJ Reciprocal Income Tax Agreement
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
    I agree with ebaines' post regarding the STATE income tax issues.

However, it seems to me that the OP was asking about the township taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in PA working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am planning to move to PA while working for my employer based in NJ. Would I have to pay taxes for NJ state, PA state or both. -John

Living in NY, working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

1) How are state income taxes determined when a person lives in NY, but works in NJ?. and whatever the answer, is it also explained in the two states 1040 publications that are mailed to residents every year along w/the forms? 2) What are the exact criteria regarding "telecommuting"? For...

Living in NY working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

What type of taxes will I have living in NY and working in NJ? Do I get taxed twice or what? Why do I have to pay taxes in NY if I'm in NJ? Im confused about this whole thing is it worth living in NY and working in NJ?

Living in MD working DE [ 1 Answers ]

In Nov. 2005 I permanently moved form California to Maryland and started a new job right away in DE, while being a resident of MD. My question is do I need to file state taxes for each of these three states separately. The last couple of years I have used Tax Act and Turbo Tax without any...

Living in NY but working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NJ but we live in NY. His job sent him so many w-2's it is so confusing. We use taxcut to do our taxes usually. Do we have to enter w-2's separately like one for NY and one for NJ? Or just add them up? Any help would be appreciated. For federal we would have to...

View more questions Search