Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunny12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
    IRS rules on transfer of funds to Mother from NRE account in India
    I am a US citizen and have around 40 lakh rupees in my NRO account in India which I transferred from US to India over the past 1 year. I would like to transfer this amount to my mothers account who lives in in India and is a Indian citizen, so that she can put it in an FD for a year and get a better interst rate. Do I have to pay gift tax for this here in US and what am I supposed to do when I file my taxes here. Please can someone help me with this question.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
    1. You must report worldwide income on your tax return so you must report interest earned on your India bank account.
    2. If you gift the money to your mother, you will have to file gift tax return as the amount exceeds $13,000.
    3. You can have FD in your name.
    4. You can transfer amount to your mother's account without gifting her. On your US tax return, you will report interest income as your own income.
    5. You must file Form TD F 90-22.1. every year. You may have another filing requirement Form 8938. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS rules on transfer of money to overseas? [ 10 Answers ]

SUBJECT : re: FBAR a/c & Transferring money to native country from US I am working in US & am not a citizen/permanent resident. 1. Is there any restrictions on how much money can I send to my parents who are not US residents & not US citizens living in the foreign country to their personal...

NRE account and taxes in US [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an Indian citizen (reside in US) and have an NRE account. The interest earned is tax exempt by Indian government. I know I have to report that when filing 1040 form. But how do I reclaim that from IRS saying it's tax exempt as per my country of citizenship,India. India has double tax...

Tax on NRE account [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a US permanent resident(GC). While filing my tax returns for 2010 I came to know that I need to report all foreign bank accounts(Interest bearing).I have a NRE account. I have held this account from Dec 2008. I will be completing the form TD F 90-22.1 for my 2010 returns. My question: ...

Icici nre account [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a nre account. I am here in H1b visa. I have a source of income in my home country that is been deposited in this account. I would like to know whether it is enough to pay income tax in India or I have to pay taxes for that amount in USA of I decide to transfer the money to my US...

IRS rules for transfer money [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few questions regarding my concerns. I have a debt on 2 credit cards($4200 and $8600) and I want to be debt free this year so I can start improving my credit score. Luckily, I tried to save a debt for one credit card($4200) since it has a high interest rate and pay the whole...

View more questions Search