Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neetika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Which form to submit
    Hi
    My husband completed his Masters from US on June 05 and got job in sept 05.till then he was on f1 and I was on f4 status.his H1 visa started from March 06 , and we submitted 1040 NR last year . IN 2006 We had a daughter (us citizen) ,I want to know which form we should fill as right now we are on h1 and h4 status .and what will be the deductions for our daughter? And we purchased a new car in 2006 , can we get any deductions against that ?can we get any deducttions against medical bills (whole pregnancy thing )

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 11:00 AM
    You can file dual status, but I do not recommend that.

You can file a joint return and CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006. This will likely be the best way for you to file tax-wise.

No tax benefit for the car unless you live in a state with no state income tax, and then probably no benefit. The medical costs are deductible only to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of your income.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What form to use for J-1? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a question regarding type of form I can use If I am a University student from the Czech republic working in the USA in summer as a member of Work and Travel USA program. I am a J-1 visa holder stying in country not longer than 150 days. Can I fill 1040EZ or am I obliged to use 1040NREZ...

Which TAX form I have to submit 1040 or 1040 NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was on F1 status from Jan-2006 to May-2006 and had no income. From June-2006 to current I am on OPT status. I worked from August-2006 to December-2006 on OPT status. Which TAX return form I have to submit? 1040 or 1040 NR or I have to submit 1040 and 1040NR separately. Thank

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

New w-7 form? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello tax experts! I was recently told by an attorney that a new w-7 form (request for individual tax ID) would be available this year and only this updated form could be submitted with this year's tax return. Would any of you know when exactly this updated version will be available to...

Do I have to submit all receipts for expenses I claimed on 1040 Schedule C? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to submit all receipts for expenses I claimed on 1040 Schedule C? If the answer is yes, should I enclose them, along with 1040 Schedule C and 1040NR, in my tax envelope? Thank you. I am going to continue checking my shoebox of receipts...

View more questions Search